chapter twenty-one: something's gotta give

"If I fall asleep, pinch me." Briar whispers to Meredith, who shakes her head at her. They're all in a conference room, listening–or not listening, in Briar's case–to Teddy explaining her latest case. Briar is especially annoyed about it, since she wants to have an important conversation with Owen and the Chief, and she'd prefer to get it over with as soon as possible.

"It's all in your head." April whispers to Jackson, grabbing Meredith and Briar's attention from where they sit behind them.

"My name isn't on the O.R. board. I checked the schedule. Nobody wants to work with me, 'cause I'm not on anybody's service." Jackson says back, and Briar grimaces, glad that he can't see her. He still hasn't decided what service he wants to specialize in. They've had a lot of discussions about it over waffles: she's one waffle away from never eating them again.

"It's an oversight, okay? Just–Just ask around." April tries.

"Do you know how many things I've screwed up in the last month?" Jackson asks her, sounding disappointed in himself.

"Stop it. I'm serious." Meredith interjects, making the two of them turn in surprise. "Just ask around and get on someone's service and get back to work."

"Maybe try something new." Briar adds, shrugging when he looks at her with annoyance. "You'll never know if you like a field until you try it. I didn't think I would like ortho, but now look at me."

Alex joins them as soon as she's finished talking, looking–and smelling–like hell, dressed in a light button up and a jacket instead of scrubs. He falls into the seat next to Meredith with a groan, and they immediately turn to him.

"You smell like you're sweating booze." Meredith murmurs to Alex, making Briar sigh. "Where have you been?"

"I want the weekend you had." Jackson tells him, looking over his shoulder at them.

"What happens in Vegas, you know?" He asks, and Briar snorts.

"I certainly know. Who'd you marry?" She asks, making the whole group laugh and then desperately try to quiet down. She winks at Alex, having purposely distracted them from his weekend away.

"Who's Stark?" Alex asks as soon as they're sure no one is looking at them. "I'm supposed to be on Stark's service today."

"Oh, me too. He's the new peds attending. Since Robbins left." April says with a bright smile that falters at the mention of Arizona leaving.

"Crap." Alex whispers, shaking his head. "I can't handle a bunch of sick kids today. I can't do it."

Briar reaches over Meredith to grab his hand, squeezing it extra tight before turning to face the front of the room again. Teddy is still talking, but Briar can't bring herself to focus on her or the case they're supposed to be learning about.

"So was it a bachelor party or–?" April starts to question, looking curious, but Meredith shushes her.

"Shh! They're talking about Cristina." She says, sitting straight up. Briar does too, her hand falling out of Alex's.

"And why did Dr. Yang opt to use the intra-aortic balloon pump over an R-Vad?" Someone questions.

"I, um . . . I can't answer for Dr. Yang." Teddy answers with a smile.