Chapter 4: Taking the Plunge

Running through the forest carrying Serena, I feel my heart pounding a mile a minute. My legs are burning but I keep going. I need to get to the waterfalls. I don't know why, but I just need to trust mom on this. She clearly knows better than I about what's going.

Suddenly, one of the men in the red cloaks jumps down in front of us. I gasp and try to run around him. Another appears and I back away quickly, turning and running in another direction. Clutching Serena to me, I hear her whimper.

"It's going to be alright," I say, trying to make my voice soothing. However, I can hear my voice tremble.

"What are we going to do?" she asks, voice soft.

"Just hang on," I say, racking my brain for some kind of plan. More of the men in red cloaks appears and I back away. I see daggers glinting in the moonlight and my blood turns to ice.

Turning around, I see more appear. We are completely surrounded. I clutch Serena tighter, heart pounding faster and sweat sliding down my forehead. I need to get Serena out of this. If I can get her into the pool, she'll have a chance to escape.

The men draw closer and go to grab us. Mom comes in, slamming a foot into one of the men, sending him sprawling into another. She gestures for me to run. I continue on, running down the way we were going before. Hearing water rushing, I see the river.

Going over the bridge, something explodes behind me, sending us both flying. I place my body in front of Serena, clutching her to my chest as we slam into the ground. The air gets sucked out of me and I give a strangled gasp. Pain slams through me and I wince.

Heart thudding, I loosen my grip from around Serena and she looks down at me.

"You-You okay?" I ask and she nods. "No injuries?"

She shakes her head. I see the men in the red cloaks coming and I scramble to my feet. My arms begin to feel sore from holding Serena, but I can't put her down.

The man, Malcior I think my mom called him, grabs Serena and yanks her out of my arms. I gasp.

"NO!" I scream and lunge towards him. He slams the back of his fist into my face, sending me flying into the ground. I cry out. Pain blooms on my cheek and I clutch it. I hear Serena struggling.

"Let me go!" she screams, and I look to see her flailing and kicking. Rage begins to build up inside of me. I can't let this man hurt my sister. Getting to my feet, I come up from behind him and kick the back of his legs. He gives out, dropping Serena. I grab her and pull her in the direction of the waterfalls.

Someone grabs my legs, causing me to fall to the ground. I gasp as I land hard on my stomach. Coughing, I look up to see Serena frantically looking down at me.

"Run!" I scream just as I'm yanked back. I roll over and Malcior lunges onto me, dagger pressing against my throat. I gasp and my heart begins to pound painfully against my ribs. I hear Serena scream, but I can't move to see what's happening.

"Now," Malcior says, voice low as he presses the dagger closer. "You and your sister are coming with us. And if you try to escape, your sister will be punished."

Someone slams into him, causing him to fly off of me. Sitting up quickly, I wrap a hand around my throat, feeling for any cuts. Thankfully, I don't feel anything. Looking, I see Malcior kick my mom off him. She slams into the ground but quickly gets back to her feet.

Her gaze lands on me.

"Run!" she screams. I frantically look around for Serena and see that she manages to wiggle out of the man's grip. Rushing towards her, two men run in front of me. I gasp and quickly change directions.