2

Your heart must be a ghost

I can feel it mounting; a dark wave — upon the night of my soul.
-SEGOVIA AMIL

𓆩♱𓆪
Premonitions

"Leander, what have you done?" My emotions spiral out in every syllable through the breath of a whisper.

Tension grips my brother's neck as he inhales sharply. "I've found something," he ventures. "The moment I entered its presence, it called to me, it cast a powerful sensation upon my path, luring me toward it. It felt as though I uncovered a lost part of my being. It was as though it anticipated my arrival."

He unveils a small object hidden beneath the folds of his overcoat, delicately lifting it with the fabric. "I can't be sure of what it is, but I understand that it possesses an unearthly form of power. Its value is beyond measure." The orb whirls with an incandescent spirit of silver, emitting a faint aura of beauty amid the blackness of the night. It's an angelic beacon of serenity, of purity.

A sense of perturbance suddenly clouds Leander's features, a contrast to his commonly assured, composed demeanor. His disturbed state is evident through the twitch of his fingers, and the vacancy of his gaze. His typical confidence has lost its light, although he tries to conceal it by speaking firmly.

I pretend not to notice the strange air of his demeanor and stretch my hand towards the orb.

With abrupt motion, Leander forcefully pushes my hand aside, concealing the orb beneath his overcoat. The darkness of the night swallows us with a ghostly shroud. "Careful, Esme," his voice cuts through the midnight air, dark and mellow.

"Careful of what? I question, startled at the unexpected motion."Elaborate please, go on."

He releases a weary sigh. "I was on my regular scavenging duties, deep in the underneath, exploring new realms, and searching for ancient treasures—when it appeared out of nowhere. It was something I've never seen before."

His fingers rake through his untamed, lengthy locks, a deep sigh following. "The moment I touched it, a flurry of memories played out in my mind as if they rightfully belonged to me." He hesitates momentarily, "I witnessed sinister scenes occurring in London: the forbidden art of dark alchemy. I saw the practice of soul harvesting. The memories revealed to me glimpses of secret societies, hiding in the shadows, practitioners of these arts. I witnessed these events through a pair of eyes that weren't my own. I am afraid I can't be certain of what bond this orb shares with these memories."

A creeping chill ripples through my body at Leander's ominous tone, the night awakening with a sense of foreboding and eeriness. The object in my brother's possession simmers with peril. Leander, rash as always, perpetually failing to attain sensible cation with his regular scavenging. "Have the consequences of acquiring such a dangerous object not entered your conscious? Was it beyond your willpower to leave it alone?"

"Do you not understand what this entails Esme?" His eyes flash with a dark glint, and his lips purse together at my remark—a palpable gesture of disapproval. "This object bears an otherworldly form of power, its value is exceedingly high. In my long years of scavenging, never have I crossed such an object. Can't you see that this is a blessing?"

He suddenly seizes a hand onto my shoulder. "We could obtain a fortune once we sell this. Imagine the abundance of food that could sustain us for the winter." His words ring heavily into the empty court.

"Absolutely not, Leander." I shoot him a glare of displeasure. "This orb carries a form of dark magic that is beyond anyone's comprehension. It is connected with a malevolent presence that remains unknown to us. What sane individual would desire such an object for trade or purchase? Whoever this rightfully belongs to could be searching for it. Do you lack the comprehension of the immense danger this could—"

"Which is why I am taking care of the matter," he declares through a tightened jaw with a nearly imperceptible tremble. "We will simply remove the orb from our possession. I struck a deal with an individual earlier today, here in the commerce court. This gentleman held keen interest toward this item that I found." He pauses, a flicker of uncertainty crossing his sharp features." I am to meet him tonight, before dawn."

Apprehension crashes through me like a relentless wave, unyielding and abrupt. I am mindful of the audacious pattern of thought that forms in my brother's mind. The moment an idea strikes his conscious, he follows through with it. The uncertain consequences of his reckless actions fail to occur to him. It's impossible to put an end to his stubbornness when valuable assets are involved.

An unshakeable strangeness stirs within Leander's presence, it's almost tangible. He's more than aware that this situation is peculiar, but his stubbornness seems to blind him, he refuses to acknowledge the dangers.

"Esme." Leander takes a sudden breath as he reaches a hand into the pocket of his coat. "Allow me to show you what the man gifted me with, it will help you to understand." He reveals a vile harboring a shimmering gold substance, sparkling like stardust amidst the night.

My stomach twists at the sight. A dosage of Aetheryium.

"He informed me that if I return he will provide me with a larger supply in addition to an enormous quantity of precious gems. Once I sell it all, we will receive an immeasurable price.

I stare at him, utterly dumbfounded.

"You know how difficult it is to afford this substance, don't you?" he spits under his breath. "It's a lifetime saving for any of us in the outskirts. Imagine all the wealthy market folk who would willingly pay a high price in their desperation."

"This is wrong Leander, selling the gift of enlightenment only to poison the minds of others for your gain. You want to contribute to the mess are rulers have already created?"

His mouth contorts, his eyes trailing to the cobblestone ground, a signal of discomfort and irritation.

"You're well aware that they mask their deceit with religious doctrines, claiming the injection of Aetheryium promises salvation, all the while it slowly steals their sanity. It's appalling that they believe the destruction is a beautiful part of the process of transcending." I shake my head with emphasized motion."Yet you wish this fate on others."

"The wealthy aren't my concern. My concern is you, providing for you as you're all I have now. I wish to grant you the life you deserve. One where you aren't tirelessly selling elixirs day and night to make a living, grasping for survival." His expression turns solemn."Everything comes with a risk, this trade could be our gateway to a better life."

The air crackles with growing tension, simmering with heavy emotion. My nerves are alight with heat, a fiery rush that increases rapidly, threatening to consume me. My words are beyond meaningless to Leander. He will proceed with his actions, indifferent to my pleas. He always finds a way. I'm feeble against his stubbornness.

"What insight do you have regarding this stranger who proposed this deal? There isn't a way to determine whether his intentions are genuine, is there? Must you risk it?" My emotions spiral out breathlessly with increasing emphasis, "This is perilous and utterly reckless. I am not sure of what would become of myself if something happened to you."

"I know what I am doing Esme. I won't allow you to destroy my plans. Your vision is limited." His brows furrow deeply as he speaks with a wavering voice, as if he too doesn't believe in what he says. "The deal I have made is quite ordinary, no different from any in the past. You know that the market folk tend to be dark-hearted with peculiar tastes—it's not abnormal for them to desire this orb. I know you're sick of this life. I will not let anyone ruin the chance of a better future for you."

A sensation of uneasiness surrounds me, it whirls in the breeze with an unsettled presence, icy and menacing. It looms in the night, a forewarning of what is to come, I sense it in my core.