1.2: first class

LUCIAN'S POV

Dax's love language is physical touch.

It's not mine, but it's why I don't get annoyed—specifically with him—whenever he throws an arm over my shoulders or grabs my hand to tug me off somewhere because he's excited to show me something. He's been this way since we were kids.

But today, for whatever reason, he's especially clingy.

The airport terminal is alive and loud with the overlapped chatter of travelers and the occasional announcement over the intercom. Dax and I stand near our gate waiting for our friends to arrive.

My nerves are on edge because I've never done anything this dramatic with Dax before. The thought of pretending to be a couple for an entire week makes my head throb.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit excited.

"They're not even here yet, so you really don't have to hold my hand..." I glance down at our conjoined hands again before meeting his bright eyes. "Oh my God. Look at you! You're enjoying this too much."

If he had a tail, I can imagine how fast it'd be wagging right now.

"My second dream in life was to be an actor," he says casually. "I'm just settling into our role. You think they're gonna let us off the hook after we reveal our plan? Hell no."

I blink, confused. "So...?"

"So." He squeezes my hand. "We're sticking to our faux couple shtick for the whole trip."

Before I can respond, a familiar voice calls out to us.

"What the hell are you two doing here?" Scott questions.

I turn to see him, Kay, and Collin approaching us with their significant others in tow. All of them look in love, real love, while Dax and I are here playing frauds.

"And don't you dare say this has something to do with the surprise you mentioned," Scott continues, briefly glancing at our joined hands. "Wait a minute..."

"The secret is out!" Dax exclaims, pulling me closer to him. "Luci and I decided to join you lovebirds on the trip. Isn't this exciting? The whole gang is here!"

"I'm so confused. Are you two are really...?" Kay asks, gesturing between us. "This isn't a joke?"

"Of course it is." Scott rolls his eyes, chuckling. "But you two are not and have never been a couple. This—" He waves a hand at me and Dax. "—is against the rules."

"Technically, it isn't. You said you wanted this to be a couples only trip," Dax says. "But you didn't specify much else. Therefore, if I say Luci and I are officially a couple, then we're officially a couple."

"I see what you did there," Collin laughs. "Loophole."

I feel my face heat up as Dax, ever the class clown, starts cracking jokes about how he and I finally realized our undying love for each other. He's a master at controlling a room. I do my best to play along, adding in a few quips of my own, and soon, we're off to board the plane.

By the time Dax and I settle into our first-class seats, the reality of the situation starts to further sink in... We're really doing this. Pretending to be a couple.

Shit, we'll have to share a bed, won't we? Oh God. I didn't plan this far ahead.

"Ready for the adventure of a lifetime, boyfriend?" Dax whispers, his breath tickling my ear as a mischievous twinkle shines brightly in his eyes.

I take a deep breath and nod. "Ready as I'll ever be."

_

Author's Note: this book is going to be 80% images, which will move the plot forward. but the written parts will vary in length so pls don't complain too much 🥰