07 - DREAMS

None of us were anxious to travel that night, so we decided to wait untilmorning. Grover and Perc crashed on the leather couches in Geryon's livingroom, they looked comfortable, Nico and I were in another room, we were sharing the bed in hopes to keep our nightmares-- which we'd both been having frequently-- away.

Even if Nico was mad at me, he always found comfort in my presence, I loved that about this kid.

I dreamed I was with some tall blonde dude, we were walking through the dark palace on top ofa mountain. It was stunning. There were green fires burned in braziers along the walls. The floorwas polished black marble. A cold wind blew down the hallway, and aboveus through the open ceiling, the sky swirled with gray storm clouds. 

But the blonde man I was with was dressed for battle. 

 He wore camouflage pants, a white T-shirt, and a bronze breastplate, but his sword, Backbiter, wasn't at his side—only and empty scabbard. We walked into a large courtyard where dozens of warriors and dracaenae were preparing for war. When they saw him, the demigods rose to attention. They beat their swords against their shields.

"Issss it time, my lord?" a dracaena asked.

"Soon," The blonde guy promised. "Continue your work."

"My lord," a voice said behind him. 

I could've sworn I'd seen this monster before. She's chased me out of dreams before.

 Kelli, that was the name that popped into my mind the first time I saw her. I don't know why, she seems like a Kelli. 

Kelli, the empousa was smiling at him.

She wore a blue dress, and she looked wickedly beautiful. Her eyesflickered—sometimes dark brown, sometimes pure red. Her hair was braideddown her back and seemed to catch the light of the torches, as if it wereanxious to turn back into pure flame.

My heart was pounding. I waited for Kelli to see me, to chase me out of the dream as she did before, but this time she didn't seem to notice me. "You have a visitor," she told the blonde man. She stepped aside, and even the scarred man seemed stunned by what he saw.

The monster Kampê towered above him. Her snakes hissed around herlegs. Animal heads growled at her waist. Her swords were drawn,shimmering with poison, and with her bat wings extended, she took up theentire corridor.

I've seen Kampê in the books I've been trying to read.

"You." The man's voice sounded a little shaky. "I told you to stay on Alcatraz."

Kampê's eyelids blinked sideways like a reptile's. She spoke in a weirdrumbling language, but I understood, somewhere in the back of mymind: I come to serve. Give me revenge.

"You're a jailor," The blonde man said. "Your job—"

I will have them dead. No one escapes me.

The man hesitated. I need to learn his name. A line of sweat trickled down the side of his face. "Very well," he said. "You will go with us. You may carry Ariadne's string. It is a position of great honor."