07

The campers had never seen such dark days before. Thunder shook the trees and lightning blasted arcs of fire through the sky. The rain howled down upon the children hiding in their cabins. Zeus' anger was unparalleled. Two forbidden children claimed on the same day within minutes of each other, his unfaithful brothers too promiscuous to follow their laws.

Worst of all, the most dangerous child had awoken. Her Chelsea smile and deep black hair gleaming with power, and a tall brunette loyally at her side. She had left the Infirmary as soon as she woke up and grinned and the outrage Zeus had let loose on the camp.

"He's not happy. He doesn't like when rules are broken, especially ones he attempts to adhere to." Luke's low voice warned, more cautious about the storm than Alanna, having already experienced the wrath of Zeus.

"He'd better get used to it sweetheart." she promptly walked into the woods towards the camp, Luke walking confidently at her side. Backbiter was still strapped to his side and his hand rested loosely on its hilt as they walked.

The greenery seemed faded, lush colours drowned into slushed brown and pitiful green. The mud was thick and trenched with water and dying flowers, vibrancy cast aside for prehistoric monochrome. Alanna's still worked like a hunter's, scanning every inch of her surroundings, fingers gracing her blades protectively. Her footfalls were nimble, skirting around major puddles and carefully dancing through the swamp, Luke however, not so much. His khaki cargos were brown up to his knees, careless stomps through puddles, tripping over hidden roots when his eyes were elsewhere.

"Alanna?" his voice was softer than summer rain, wet hair matted to his forehead and rainfall plushing his lips. His orange camp shirt was plastered to his toned body, hugging to every curve and tone of his torso. Alanna turned and her eyes devoured the sight.

"Yes Luke?" he stopped and drank her in, wet frizzy curls and water running over every feature. He followed the drops. Eyebrows. Eyes. Nose. Lips. Chin. All perfect and smeared with beauty. Her top nearly see through with the pouring water. Tight leggings and sandalled feet. Everything about her made his heart stop, made his breath catch in his throat, made his cheeks heat up.

"Nothing." her brows furrowed, amber confusion swirling in pools of liquid tar. He couldn't help but smile, her beauty the type that just puts you in a state of adoration. She felt the flames burn harder beneath her cheeks, rosying her skin.

They walked in a comfortable silence, the heavy rain and sloppy mud their own little melody. They reached the cabins and the rain seemed to come down harder. Alanna stood in the centre of the U, spinning slowly on her heel beneath the pouring rain.

"Where am I? There's no Hades cabin here." she stopped to look at Luke, whose eyes were transfixed on her, set in stone like Medusa's touch. He tilted his head slightly to the side as he looked at her.

"You're with me princess. The Hephaestus kids are working on a place for you at Chiron's request." Alanna nodded, following Luke into the packed Cabin 11.

More than just the regular kids were in there, the cabin usually the camps hangout spot when there was nothing to do. It fell silent at their entry, youngest children shuddering at the new appearance of the death child.

"Alanna!" her head jolted to the sight of Percy shoving through the crowds, Clarisse right behind him, campers staying well away from her. Percy ran at the older teen, practically throwing himself at her. "I was so worried."

Alanna didn't know what to do. It was as if she was a robot, all memory of affection wiped from her brain. Her arms once the centre of warmth and comfort were cold and awkward on his body. The little boy's face was confused, but his eyes widened as he took her in.

Black where the whites of her eyes used to be, broken by the swirling licks of ambered fire of her iris. Her hair, once a shining red, was a deep black, freckles gone and skin darker than before. Not a tan kind of dark, she looked ashen and colourless. Tortured.

"Alanna?" his little voice cracking with the hints of growth. She offered a half smile to him, before turning and nodding at Clarisse and moving to her stuff.

The crowds parted, gawking at the teen as she walked past. She sat on the floor and pulled a tattered book from her shredded backpack.

"Give her time. She's not who she was." Luke soon softly to the two staring at her solemnly. "Everyone, stop staring and get on." he ordered. The chatter resumed and he turned back to Percy and Clarisse.

"Give her time and I'll get as much of her back as I can. Just try. Clarisse, train with her, laugh with her, get her sitting on your table again. Percy, talk to her, be yourself around her. We'll get her back." they nodded, and he moved past them to the girl.

He sat in front her her crossed legs, brushing a hand over her thigh. She looked up at him. He'd never seen her so lost.

"I don't remember them."