CHAPTER I

2010 - 09 - 11

"Attention citizens! This is an urgent message. We are facing an unprecedented crisis. Reports are flooding in about a mysterious outbreak causing widespread panic and violence. If you're in the Atlanta area, head to the designated refugee center at the Georgia World Congress Center. Authorities are working to secure the area and provide assistance. Stay calm, avoid crowded places, and follow instructions from law enforcement. Remember, help is on the way. Stay tuned for updates on this emergency broadcast. Your safety is our top priority."

"Why are they still broadcasting this?", Robert Hughes questioned grumpily. This same broadcast plays through the radio at least 40 times a day. It was getting on the nerves of some soldiers standing outside, guarding the main highway going through Atlanta. Robert adjusted his rifle before taking his cap off and wiping the sweat from his forehead. "And standing here in this freaking sun sure helps a lot."

𝔸𝕦𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕟 𝕄𝕒𝕣𝕤 shrugged, "I think we're lucky. We could be working at the refugee camp and watch over everyone's asses.".

"She's right, you know.". Austin and Robert turned their heads behind them. Another soldier spoke, Lucas Ward. Lucas was sitting in a chair with sunglasses on, his jacket off, wearing only a white wife beater and military pants, his dog tags glistening in the sun.

Austin furrowed her eyebrows as she adjusted her military cap "to see better". "Are you sunbathing?", she asked in disbelief while Robert scoffed.

"Well, I gotta keep the tan up.", Lucas smiled while running his hand through his brown hair, "Even if the world might be coming to an end.".

"That's sick.", Robert commented.

Lucas gave the biggest smile, "Thank you.".

"No!", Robert shouted before fully turning to him, "I meant 'what is wrong with you'.".

"Chill out, old man.", Lucas raised his hands up.

"Shut up, both of you.". Everyone looked up at Ash Moore, who was standing on top of the military truck with binoculars in hand and a rifle hanging on his shoulder.

Lucas took off his sunglasses and stood up from his chair. "Don't tell me what to do, kid.", he said while pointing his sunglasses at him.

Ash shook his head, "I'm 19.".

"Not an excuse. You're the youngest.", Lucas stated putting his cap back on and grabbing his rifle.

Ash stuttered watching as Lucas got into guarding mode, "I'm only a couple of years younger than Austin.". Ash raised his head and looked at Austin, "How old are you, again?".

Laughter erupted between the soldiers before Austin answered, "I'm 25, Ash.".

"See? More than 20.", Lucas commented before all of them got quiet. Only the sound of an occasional bird flying by.

"Otto's out cold.", Robert commented while glancing at the military truck. Otto Oneil is another soldier but he's in the truck, sleeping.

"Yeah, no shit.", Ash stated, "The whole truck's moving from his snores."

"Give him a break.", Austin spoke up, "The man hasn't got any sleep for two nights.".

"Attention citizens! This is an urgen-"

"Shut the fuck up!", Lucas yelled before turning off the radio completely. Lucas huffed in annoyance before standing back up again.

"You shouldn't have done that.", Ash murmured while looking through the binoculars.

"That woman's voice is getting on my nerves.", Lucas stated.

"Not what I meant.", Ash said suddenly very seriously, "You shouldn't have yelled. It might attract more beings like the runway model up the road.".