・❥・𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏・❥・

January 15th, 2021

|| ALAYAH'S POV||

Hope.

A word that leaves people with expectations that someday things will change for the better, but that only happens in the movies we watch and in the books we read, and unfortunately, we live in reality.

Evidence has proven that having older siblings is a blessing in disguise, but I personally believe having older siblings is misery itself. The reason I believe this is because my whole life revolved around being compared to my older brother, Aiden, and sister, Aimee. My parents were constantly on my back for wanting me to be just like Aimee, from how she dressed to how she walked and talked.

Things started to get significantly worse as I entered High School. Teachers would always compare me to my siblings, saying, "Why can't you get grades like Aiden?" or "Why can't you be more like your brother and sister?". I was basically living a life as my brother and sister's shadow, where I was known as thee 'Youngest Preston' or 'Aiden and Aimee's sister '.

During my schooling years, I wasn't able to make many friends because they'd only want to be my friend so they could either hook up with my siblings or just try to get noticed by either one of them.

"...Are you even listening to me?" A voice asked, pulling me from my rapid thoughts that swirled around my head like a cyclone. I snapped my head to the voice, and I was instantly met with annoyed yet concerned sky-blue eyes.

A shaky breath slipped past my slightly parted lips as I carelessly played with a random piece of paper that sat on the white countertop beside the register. "No. I'm sorry, Addie." I apologise as my lips curl into a frown to display my sincerity for not paying attention to her.

Adelaide May Ashton. Five foot seven inches, brunette with blond highlights. A twenty-two-going-on-twenty-three year-old who has a passion for fashion and a love for photography and travelling but works at a music store "You have got to stop thinking about them," she said after exhaling sharply.

I anxiously chewed on my bottom lip and shook my head. "That's easier said than done, Addie," I replied with a soft tone. "Being invisible for half of my life and being ridiculed for the rest for wanting to pursue a career in the music industry..."

"Prove it," she said strongly before walking towards one of the shelves that was somewhat disorganised after customers surfed through to find the album they had wanted to purchase. I sent her a puzzled look and she continued, "They think you won't succeed as a musician, right?"

I nodded my head and said, "Yeah, Mom said that singing isn't a career but a hobby because it's not like I'll be saving any lives."

An incredulous expression washed over her face. "What the fu—Hello and Welcome to Picks and Mix," she started to say before the sound of the bell ringing echoed around the store, to which she then had to halt our conversation to greet a new customer. "As I was saying before, prove to your family that you can succeed as a musician. I believe you could go somewhere."

I playfully rolled my eyes, "You're just saying that because you're my best friend." I told her, and she stopped organising the CDs and turned to where I sat behind the cash register, elbows pressed on the counter top.

She raised an eyebrow. "I've heard you sing when you think no one is watching you, Laya, and you honestly have a great voice," she hums before turning back to the shelves.

I smiled at the customer, who seemed to be jumping with joy. A teenage girl who seemed to be a couple of years younger than me, with a wide grin dancing on her lips. I scanned the CD and hummed, "That will be $6.99." I recited, and she simply handed me a $10 bill. "What do you expect me to do? Pack up my life here and start anew in Los Angeles?" I nonchalantly asked Addie once the customer had stepped out of the store.