Biana's POV

Biana wasn't sure what she should do in that moment. Fitz's connection with Sophie bad just broken, she could tell by his tears. She and Dex watched as Keefe and Fitz hugged. You could clearly tell just how much those boys cared about her. She looked at Dex, who looked like he was crying also. Biana wasn't close with him, so she couldn't do anything besides stand there.

     Fitz finally pulled away from Keefe, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand.

     Dex was the first to speak. "I think I know, but, what happened Fitz?"

     He waited a few seconds before answering quietly. "Sophie told me that she heard them decide that if they couldn't wipe her memory, they would kill her. So, I told her that if it came down to it, that she had to let them wipe it because I didn't want her getting hurt." He took a breath. "I found out that we are in Spain right now, Sophie recognized the flag. She told me that her fading was still pretty bad, but it was slightly better. They've been burning her." Fitz got choked up on that part.

Biana noticed Dex wince. He must be remembering how they had burned him.

Fitz continued, "She asked how Dex was doing, I said that you were doing better and that you were helping us search for her." Dex was holding back tears. Fitz's head swiveled to look at Biana. "Sophie wanted me to tell you that she was sorry about your fight the day she was taken. She said she overreacted and she wanted you to know that she was sorry in case anything happened." Biana felt her heart sink.

     Sophie probably thought it was her fault. It was in fact the opposite. Biana hadn't even tried to show Sophie how much she'd mattered to her. She was a lazy, crap friend. Biana had convinced herself it was entirely her fault that Sophie was where she was now. All because of a stupid fight. All because she couldn't get over herself until her father had asked her to invite Sophie over. She did genuinely enjoy Sophie's company, but it probably wouldn't matter anymore.

     "Next thing I knew, I could sense her screaming. They were punishing her for transmitting to me, but she didn't want to let go of our connection. She held on. Sophie told me how much it was hurting her. She said they were about to wipe her memory and that she was sorry. That's all." Fitz couldn't look anywhere but his feet.

     The four of them stood in place for a while. Unsure what to do. They couldn't continue searching for the hideout where Sophie was, but her memory was most likely gone. If it wasn't gone, there was a chance she was dead. Biana tried not to think of that. Besides, they would be outnumbered. Four to however many people were in there with Sophie. That, and they had no weapons. They didn't have much of a choice but to go home.

     Keefe must've been thinking the same thing. "I think we should go home." His voice was barely audible. They all grabbed hands as Biana raised her home crystal to the light, stepping through the beam.

They walked towards the glowing estate silently. Alden was home and greeted them, hugging Fitz and Biana.

"I'm glad to see you all back. I take it it didn't go well?" He looked towards Fitz, who said nothing, but turned his head away.

"Let's go inside. It's not the greatest update, but it definitely is something." Keefe informed Alden. He just nodded, placing a hand on Keefe's shoulder, and led them into the expansive living room.

Juline and Kesler engulfed Dex in a hug. Whispering something into his ear. A glimmer of pain went across his features. Edaline just stood in the corner, shaking slightly. Grady was noticeably absent. He must still be searching for Sophie.

Fitz restated the events that happened while he'd managed to transmit with her. Tears filled his eyes. Della moved to hug him.

Edaline quietly sobbed, Juline wrapped her arms around her, and held her as she cried.

"She's only twelve. She's just a little girl." Biana heard Edaline mutter. Her heart ached for her. Biana couldn't imagine this happening to herself, and felt guilty for being glad it wasn't.

"I know Edaline. It'll be okay. She'll be okay. Dex is okay, so will Sophie." Juline attempted to confort her.

"She doesn't even know how much I love her. I can't lose another child. It's just like..." Her voice faded out, but everyone knew who she was thinking of. Jolie. Biana's heart ached for Edaline.

Alden moved to put a hand on Fitz's shoulder. "As painful as this is Fitz, it truly is helpful. We know Sophie's general area, and if you were able to get into her head once, you should be able to manage to do it again. It's very unfortunate was has happened to her, but Sophie is a strong girl. She'll be okay. I should probably alert the council." Alden left the room for his office.

Everyone was silent for a while. Kesler had stepped out a moment to hail Grady, so he could put his search for Sophie on hiatus.

Grady burst into the room, rushing over to Edaline. She threw her arms around his neck and cried into his neck. He had one hand against the back of her head and the other slowly stroking her arm.

Kesler leaned over and whispered to Grady. Biana assumed to tell him what had happened. Grady nodded, tears filling his eyes. Biana felt like her own tears were going to make another appearance.

Alden, looking a little more than disappointed and unsure walked back into the living room. All eyes turned towards him. "The council is at a loss for the moment of what to do. If anyone has any suggestions, please share." Alden viewed the room, Biana as well.

Biana's eyes stopped on Keefe who looked like he had something to say. Keefe glanced at Biana and swallowed. What? She mouthed at him. He looked toward Alden and spoke. "I think I should join their group." He stated. All eyes whipped towards Keefe. A collective gasp filled the space.

Biana did a double take. What? Had she heard him right? No way was Keefe going to join the group of people that kidnapped Sophie and Dex. The group that tortured them and wiped her mind.

"What?" Alden asked, shocked.

Keefe cleared his throat. "I need to join the group of people that are currently holding Sophie hostage."