Chapter 3: The Chest in the Attic

Musty.

That was the first word that popped into Valta's mind when he and Halla left Halla's apartment.

The hallway was in desperate need of a new layer of paint, just like everything else Valta had seen so far. The walls were so thin that he could hear high-pitched laughter and two people arguing as they passed the other apartments.

They walked up the grand staircase at the end of the hallway to the fifth floor, and there was only one door. Halla knocked on it, waited a few seconds, and then rang the doorbell.

"Yes, yes, I'm coming," a voice croaked from behind the door, and there was the sound of three locks being opened. A woman with tiny glasses resting on the tip of her nose opened the door. She was glowering at them, but then she seemed to recognize Halla, and her wrinkles stretched into a smile. "What brings you here, dear? It's not the plumbing again, is it?"

"Oh, no, it's been working just fine, Miss Anna," said Halla. "How's your leg? Is the potion still working?"

"My leg feels just fine, thanks to you," she said, patting her left knee. "It's almost the same as when I was your age."

Halla nodded, satisfied. "Glad to hear that. I was wondering if my... acquaintance and I could come inside for a moment? We'd like to ask you about one of the tenants who used to live in my apartment."

Only then did Anna seem to notice Valta. "Oh, hello there, dear."

"Hello," Valta greeted, smiling awkwardly.

"Come on in, come on in. I apologize for the mess. I was not expecting guests," she said.

They followed her inside, leaving their shoes at the entrance. Valta glanced around, trying to find 'the mess', but everything was neat and tidy, and not even dust had settled anywhere.

She led them through a corridor into an enormous, brightly lit living room. A chandelier was hanging from the ceiling, and the walls were covered with big paintings with golden frames. But despite the grandness of it all, the apartment hadn't managed to escape the curse of aging, either.

Still, it was something Valta had never seen before, and as they sat down on a cream-colored couch, he couldn't help but marvel at the room.

"I'll bring you some tea and biscuits," said Anna, leaving the two of them alone.

Valta turned to Halla. "I take it that you're an apothecary then."

"Something like that, yes," he said, crossing his legs. "I make a potion for her knee once a month, and she gives me a rent discount."

"Can you teach me how to make potions?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because. You're not a mage. These potions need magic to work."

Pouting, Valta looked away.

"Did you just pout?" Halla asked in disbelief.

"No..."

He sighed. "I thought you were scared of magic anyway."

"I am," Valta said, shifting on the couch. "Sort of. I guess. I don't know. I'm still getting used to the whole idea."

"I see."

A few minutes later, Anna returned with a tray and placed it on the coffee table in front of Halla and Valta.

Valta bit into one of the biscuits and almost cracked his tooth.

"Dunk them into the tea first," whispered Halla without even looking in his way.