Ch. 32

By the way their homeroom teacher puts down her stuff on the table Rachel could tell there's an announcement.

"The trip," Ms. Rico says, and the class goes silent, "this year, the school has decided for something... nostalgic — The Disneyland."

Half of the class groans, and the other half applauds. Rachel laughs at the division. She herself has no problem with it since she has never been to a Disneyland before, but she can imagine why some of her teenage peers don't want to go to a crowded amusement park filled with toddlers.

"I know... I know...," Ms. Rico says, "It's not mandatory for you to participate in this two-day trip. However, I hope you all do. It'll be fun. You have until the end of the week to sign up with Mr. Hemworth at the office."

Later at the cafeteria, Annie says, "I'm assuming we are going then."

Moira sighs. "The last time I went there I was left in charge of my cousin Little Pha. I can never erase the memory in my mind of him throwing up over Mickey's feet."

"It's Mickey who should've been traumatized by that, not you," Rachel says.

"Who do you think had to clean up Little Pha after that? I smelled like vomit the whole day."

In the midst of laughing, Annie says, "Well we promise not to throw up, at least on poor Mickey."

After the friends had decided to go on the trip, later in the hall, to Rachel the topic is brought up again. This time by Ricky.

"Yeah, I'm going," Rachel says, putting away her book into the locker. "You are not?" She adds, wondering if he finds visiting Disneyland to be boring. But he did like the Space Expo they went to together.

"I'm going too," Ricky quickly says, having made up his mind just now, "Just was wondering if you were gonna sign up."

"I have never been to Disneyland before," Rachel says.

"I went there with my family when I was a kid. My mom was the most excited. I had fun. I can help you find the best rides."

Rachel bites her lips before saying, "That's alright. I'll be there with two Disneyland experts. So I'll be in good hands."

"Damn, it's hard to trick you into a date," Ricky says, making Rachel laugh.

The bell rings and they part ways.

AT THE PARKING lot, after school is over, Hector and his friends talk about skipping the trip and go see a baseball match instead.

"The basketball guys are in," Tate says, "The swimmers too. And most of our guys as well, except those who are going to be dragged away by their girlfriends, everyone's in."

Hector is not interested in Disneyland either. A game of baseball sounds much better. Or even taking the two days off to ride with his biker friends, or work on his grandfather's car.

He sees Rachel arrive at the parking with her friends, engulfed in a lively conversation with them. Then turns his attention back to his friends, Tate and Vince. "Baseball sounds good. But I'll let you know tomorrow," Hector says, before getting on his bike.

AT NIGHT, RACHEL'S phone rings. Throwing away the damp towel she had just dried her hair with, she picks up her phone. It's Hector calling.