Chapter 5

Alysanne left the dining hall and continued with her daily chores, but in the back of her mind, she questioned the words of Jaime Lannister about her mother, but more on the key she carried in her pocket. Something in her mind made her head to the crypt where her mother and father were laid to rest. When she was younger, she would escape her septa and enter the tomb and talk to her mother; she would tell her that her aunt made her wear uncomfortable dresses and didn't let her and her cousin, Robb, play with her other cousin, Jon. Alysanne often spent her time reading and learning Valyrian beside her father's tomb, with a candle flickering beside her old books. Ned had ordered to find all the books about old Valyria when she started to ask about her mother and her white hair to keep his niece at peace. Out of guilt or out of love, Ned tried to do whatever he could to make her grow up close to her mother in any way possible. It wasn't too difficult for Alysanne to learn the language; the young one learned Valyrian on her own, but she started with the ceremonies for the Gods celebrated in old Valyrian and the rest she learned reading. In turn, Alysanne taught her dire wolf, Onyx, to understand commands only in Valyrian. She played with the pup in the dim light of a single candle's flames, dancing around with the subtle breeze.

A big figure approached the girl, and the pup got into a fighting stance. She knew that any intruder could be an enemy, but unless Alysanne gave the word, she would not attack. "Who's there?" She shouted. The figure approached; it was Ned Stark.

"You have to be more careful with that thing, it gives quite the scare."

"I guess that's the point of having her as my protector."

"She'll make a fair wolf."

"I was just looking at my mother's epithet, why did you decide on it?"

"The blood of the dragon runs thick; it was just the definition of your mother, pup. She was the strongest woman I knew and made everyone aware of it. Have I told you the story of how we met?" She was aware of many stories regarding her mother, many of which told of her bravery and quick wit, but never the meeting. She assumed it was a boring or formal occasion such as the one they had just had a day earlier when the Starks met the royal family. Alysanne shook her head, letting him know her answer. "Well, what a day it was. It was days before her fifteenth name day; the King called all lords from all over the Seven Kingdoms to King's Landing; I went with your father and your aunt Lyanna. When we were presented to the Princess, my father wished for me to wed Aemma since Brandon was to be betrothed to Catlyn. I remember the rumour was that she wouldn't marry any of her brothers, but later I found out it was Raegar was the one against the union, and Jaeerys was too young for a betrothal, and to that, she did refuse. Anyway, our presentation was after an old lord had offered himself to her. She was angry, much like you were when betrothed, so why she saw both of us she moved from the top of the stairs and declared she would marry the man in front of her. Quite the commotion she caused, but he couldn't refuse, even if your father was betrothed to your aunt Caitlyn. Your father at the time didn't like her that much, your mother I mean. The Princess of Dragonstone had chosen a suitor to court and everyone was mad about it." Ned paused for a second, reminiscing of his time in the capital.

"Why didn't he like her, uncle?"

"Well you see, Brandon had strong opinions on the royal family. Your grandfather, King Aerys, was always of queer thinking and at the time his mind started to decay. He raised taxes against the north and wanted more men for his own guard. So when we were summoned, he wanted nothing to do with the Princess nor the King. Now after that abrupt meeting, arrangements were made for a formal meeting with Brandon, Lyanna, me and prince Raegar and Aemma. They met and they were stiff as a wooden board. But then Raegar started talking about the terms of the betrothal and they both started talking and became smitten with each other."

"Uncle, did he love her?"

"Of course he did... Brandon loved her very much and he was willing to give away his own freedom for her. In the end, he married your mother and was sure he would one day have to be crowned and be her consort." His eyes lit up, talking about his brother. Their death had been 18 years already, but the pain remained. "But... then my brother died after your uncle, Raegar kidnapped Lyanna even when he'd been married to Elia Martell. Brandon fought both the king and the prince and was executed as a traitor. You were still in your mother's belly, and they were planning on leaving the Redkeep to Winterfel but after the execution of both my brother and my father, she was confined and not let out. She sent her things to Winterfel, as dowager Lady of Winterfel. Her things remain here but she never arrived."

"I had no idea my mother had things here."

"Well I was going to give them to you for your 18th name day but I guess your wedding is closer and that so consider it one of my wedding gifts to you, niece." He stood from the floor where Aly was lying, "There were many chests sent by your mother, silks and fabrics, gold and jewels, most of it is still there. Except for that dress your aunt took out. It's was a priced possession of hers, but she left it for you. She always knew you were a girl."

Ned Stark took her up a tower no one would ever visit. The older Stark opened the door, and there lay multiple chests with the Targaryen seal. "For the mother! This was all my mother's?"

"Yes, Aly, I think deep down she knew you would end up here. Feel free to look around. I'll go before Cat gets angry I'm not entertaining our guests... but before I go, would you rather have your wedding here in Winterfel or in Kingslanding?"

"I thought I would have to marry in Kingslanding?"

"It is tradition for the bride to travel to the husband but we are here already and even if he chooses to not show it, Robert did appreciate your mother."

"Thank you uncle!" She ran towards Ned and hugged him tightly. "I really appreciate it."