Prologue

Aemma Targaryen died on the day before Robert Baratheon's reign started. The jewel of the realm had been locked in the Redkeep, having given birth just hours prior, the firstborn daughter of Aerys II Targaryen summoned to the Iron Throne amidst the rebellion, for the king ordered the execution of his own daughter.

"Father listen to me, please!" She said, trying to reason with the murderous King, "Rid of this madness, don't continue with all the bloodshed, we've lost too much already. Should I not be spared? You've already killed my husband, Rhaegar died already, father I beg you don't let my child orphaned! Let your heir live!"

Aemma's aid to the rebellion had been a rumour that everyone in the court knew, but it wasn't confirmed until that night when her dress was torn, and her face stood bloody and bruised. Her newborn daughter stayed hidden within the Red Keep, away from the violence of the rebellion, accompanied by a wet nurse. The Mad King raised his fist again, hitting her face with the most force. Aemma looked at Ser Jamie Lannister for help and pleaded to cease the pain. "If you were not as traitorous as your husband was, you wouldn't stand here. Now daughter, pray to tell where Robert Baratheon is?!"

"I've told you before, I do not know!"

"If that's so, then I have no use for you anymore. Dear daughter I'd hoped you would stand with me the moment I die." Aerys signalled the only guard accompanying him to kill his eldest daughter.

But before the ruler could turn his back to his daughter, the Lannister knight pierced him with his sword. You see, Jamie Lannister loved the Targaryen princess. She used to visit Casterly Rock for long summers to appease Tywin Lannister. So they would spend their afternoons riding, talking and exploring the place's surroundings; the Princess was his confidant, quite different from his sister, braver than a lion, more fierce than a dragon. She would help him out when even Cersei wouldn't.

Princess Aemma dropped from exhaustion and started to drift into a deadly sleep. "No, no, Princess, Aemma, you cannot leave me. Don't leave your daughter. Don't leave me!" Jamie lied to himself when he said he appreciated the Princess. It was more than mere appreciation; the young Lannister genuinely loved her more than he could ever describe.

"Oh Jamie, I don't know how much I will endure. Please protect my daughter, Alysanne is what we've named her. She's as much a Stark as she is Targaryen don't let them hurt her, she would be lucky to have you in her life."

"No Aemma! I implore you don't die." He looked into the Princess's eyes, which were losing their light by the minute. "I'll love you 'till the end of time; please don't go. I cannot let you die, not like this. I love you, Aemma"

"Jamie, please, promise me you'll protect her! She has lost so much, and she needs someone. Don't let them hurt her." Her voice became bleak, soft like porcelain, yet filled with pain as tears streamed down her face.

"I promise..." With those words, Aemma closed her eyes and found peace.

After witnessing the exchange, Ned Stark entered The Great Hall, unsure of his steps. He had always been a strong man with a very sure stance, but he wasn't sure what to do. Lord Ned Stark walked over to where Aemma's body was. He kneeled, and despite his injuries, he slowly rested his hand on her eyes in an attempt to give her peace as well as to give himself closure for not having saved his brother's wife. No exchange of words was made, but both men had a mutual understanding. Jaime Lannister stood up from his state, walked out of The Great Hall, and left him with the Mad King and Princess's corpses. He looked over to the Mad King, who laid on his back with a clear wound that poured blood into the floors grotesquely. And while the image made him feel strangely better, knowing then he had done justice for everyone who died unfairly by the Mad King's order, he couldn't help but think what kind of father would kill his daughter, no matter the error she committed; after all, he was the Mad King, so there wasn't much questioning on that part.

Robert Baratheon rushed into the Great Hall, yelling without noticing either the bodies or the man kneeling by their side. "Where is that Targaryen bitch?!"

Once he noticed Ned Stark kneeling over the Princess's corpse, the Baratheon man stopped and stood incredulous. Ned stood and faced him, "Aemma is not a bitch, and you shall not treat her like that. She was my brother's wife, making her as Stark as I am."

"Oh, Ned, Targaryens are all the same." Robert knew not to anger Ned Stark any further, but his anger pushed him over for a moment. "Where has the child gone? Princess Aemma was with child last I heard. Was the bastard stillborn?"

Jamie Lannister entered the Great Hall with a newborn babe in his arms as if it were planned. A rich silver bedsheet covered the child, and only a peak of the dress could be seen. Lord Stark looked at the babe in awe as it was the last piece of his brother he ever had. Jamie approached both men with one hand holding the newborn Princess and the other on the sword he had previously slain the Mad King. Ned looked at the babe and uncovered her head, just hoping her head was covered in black and not white. Much to his dismay, his niece was a true-born Targaryen, although the eyes weren't as violet when lit at candlelight. Upon taking a closer look at the babe, Ned Stark saw her mother and all his family. All her features were very Stark-ish, knowing she'd look too much like her aunt; even under the dim light, her eyes looked brilliant but darker than any other Targaryen's.

Robert took a few steps backwards when he saw the colour covering her head. "That child needs to go; she has too much of a claim!"

"No! Robert, she's no Targaryen, she's a Stark and she's my niece! You will not touch a hair of hers, and if you choose to do so then you'll have a war with the north in your hands."

"Ned look at this calmly, the child is a Targaryen, she has their colours! How can you let her live when they killed your sister and brother!"

"She has done nothing of the sort, so why should she pay for other's crimes?" Ned said, finishing the conversation. He took Alysanne Stark in his arms and maintained a strong stand against his friend, who threatened to kill his brother's only child. "Lannister, pray tell the name of my niece?"

"Lord Stark, she was named Alysanne."

"Alysanne Stark, daughter of Lord Brandon Stark Warden of the North, Lord of Winterfell and Princess Aemma Targaryen Lady of Dragon Stone," Eddard Stark said, although omitting a great part of the woman's title in short respect to Robert. He would continue the title list under his breath, hoping only the child would hear him, "Princess Aemma Targaryen, Lady of Dragonstone, Heiress to the Iron Throne."

It was always thought that Raegar and Aemma Targaryen would wed, and thus, both eldest children of King Aerys II would be heirs to the throne, having the titles of King and Queen, but in all honesty, Aemma was his firstborn child. But when Raegar and Lyanna Stark fell in love, those plans went to sea. Aemma fell in love with Brandon Stark and got married under the new and old gods, although that wasn't widespread knowledge due to the uprising led by Robert Baratheon, who was deeply in love with Lyanna and thought that she was kidnapped. So when Robert was crowned king and the war had ended, Eddard Stark returned to Winterfell with not one babe but two.

Word Count: 1343