Sophie's POV

Once again, he ignored her call. Now all she could do was lay here and hope fading away wouldn't hurt.

She could feel the warmth of the tugging pull of her consciousness, and she was tempted to let it take her away.

She glanced over to the strawberry blonde boy lying a few feet away from her. Dex's chest slowly rose and fell, he was alive. Sophie took a shaky breath.

He would be okay. That's all that mattered. She'd be gone in a few short minutes if no one came. She didn't have any energy left to transmit anything to anyone.

She began taking in her surroundings. This would be the last sight she ever saw. The clear blue skies around her, the slight breeze, the perfect green of the grass she lie on. She looked up to the tree, each section a different color, greens, whites, orange browns, and pinks.

Sophie looked at Dex, her best friend, she wished she had the energy to move closer to him to hug him. Hug him one last time, before she died.

She let out a shaky sigh and began to close her eyes, thinking of everyone in her life. Even if they didn't care all that much for her, she loved them wholeheartedly.

The sound of pattering of feet running towards her pulled her out of her thoughts. Sophie was so far gone. She tried to get herself to move but it was impossible. Maybe it was Fitz after all! Maybe he'd finally decided to believe her!

Sophie was wrong. Her heart sank at the realization.

"There she is. Let's grab her and go. In her state she won't be able to escape again." A deep voice said. She recognized it from when she was locked up. Sophie wanted more than anything to get up, grab Dex and run. But she knew that it wouldn't be possible and that she would be taken again.

Tears began pooling in her eyes as she thought of the things they would do to her. She let a few slip and fall on her cheeks.

"We can't leave, we have to begin treating her here. She'd die if we leaped with her now. Give her the remedy." A woman declared.

Masked and cloaked people surrounded her, yanking her head back harshly, parting her lips, and pouring liquids down her throat. She gagged.

"Drink it Sophie. Now. You know you don't have a choice." She used everything in her to drink it. Sophie felt her head clear ever so slightly.

"What should we do with the boy? He'll wake up soon." Another asked. She thought of Dex, worried that they would hurt him, or worse, kill him.

They had made it so far. Mr. Forkle had rescued them from the hideout and helped them escape. The two had gone through the streets of Paris looking for a way to get back. They fought back at the cloaked people, Dex had been shot with a melder. Sophie used all her concentration for the two of them to escape, just to be taken back. Another tear fell from Sophie's eyes. She'd failed.

"Make sure he stays unconscious. We'll leave him here. He'll wake up soon and find a way back, or someone will find him. I don't care." The lady said.

A few minutes passed and Sophie began to feel stronger, but not strong enough to do much. Let alone free herself of her captors. She could see her hands which were transparent. She could see right through them. She was ghostly. Sophie tried not to let it worry her. There were more important things to be thinking about.

"Let's go, if she looses anymore of her cells you will not like what I'll do to you."

Strong arms lifted her up, she glanced back at Dex. "I'm so sorry Dex, please know that it wasn't your fault. Find your way back, tell everyone what happened, and please, please get me back. I don't know what they will do with me but I know it won't be good." Sophie transmitted to him one last time. Even if he never got the message, it gave her a small feeling of peace knowing it was out there.

"She's transmitting again. Should I punish her." The cloaked person, probably the woman nodded. She seemed to be the leader. Sophie let out a small whimper as the person holding her put his finger against her side and burned her. "Don't do that again." She nodded.

Dry hands parted her lips again, pouring another elixir down her mouth. Her throat burned as the familiar taste of the sedative made its way through her system. She didn't have it in her to panic, and gave into the darkness that tugged on her.

They arrived at an unfamiliar hideout and set her on a cot. The walls were a light gray and there was little to no light. The room was small with no windows.

"She'll pass out again soon, while she's out I want you to go into her head and alter her memories. Her mental shield should be down due to the fading. Don't leave anything important unaltered. She needs to be entirely on our side." The woman said.

"Don't worry she will be." Her eyes kept closing but she needed to see what was happening.

Sophie knew the consequences, but she had to find a way to make sure Dex would be safe and get back home even if she couldn't be there with him. She stretched her mind as far as it could take her, trying to find Mr. Forkle's mind. Please don't have a wall up, please don't have a wall! She pleaded to herself. She needed to get to him in whatever way possible.

Finally, her mind latched onto a sturdy but soft mind. She felt a bit of shock as she heard his thoughts. "Sophie is that you? Are you okay? Where are you? Are you safe?" She wanted to respond to his questions but she needed to say what she had to.

"Mr. Forkle, I've been taken again. I don't have long-"

She felt a burning sensation, but managed to keep her connection to Mr. Forkle. "Stop it Sophie. I can do so much worse to you." The man threatened. She pushed on anyway.

"You need... get to Dex...four seasons...Dex. Please." She pleaded, the man's hands gripping her wrists, burning her further. She could sense the worry and fright in his mind. Her connection cut off as she screamed in pain.

The hands gripped tighter and tighter. He moved one hand to left forearm. Burning her more and more. She shrieked. How was she still conscious? Let alone alive? Sophie began to give in to the pain, she cried as her arms stung.

"That's enough for now. You can have more fun later. Now move out of the way so Gethen can do his job." The lady demanded. He moved out of the way as another man sat in front of her.

The cloaked man got closer to her, bringing his hands to her temples. Sophie hoped it wouldn't hurt.

"Go to sleep Sophie. You'll be just fine." Her vision dimmed and she closed her eyes.

A/N: Sorry this chapter was so short! I hope everyone reading enjoyed it! I will try to update at least every once in a while. 🫶🏻