Four: Terms and Conditions

Harry hadn't seen Della in more than a few days. And it wasn't for lack of trying. If she was as unknowable as she said she was, it was because she was unreachable. On more than one occasion, during the first three days of not seeing her, he had called her—though he only let it ring a few times before hanging up. Even after they had laid the ground rules—or conditions, as she called them—and made it clear that she was attracted to him and wanted him in a very particular way, he was still feeling insecure.

"Anything I'd like?" Della asked. Harry nodded. "I don't know if you could handle what I like."

Harry felt something stir in the pit of his stomach. He cleared his throat and willed himself to not think of all the things that could mean. It wasn't exactly the right moment for a hard on. "I could."

Della came forward and leaned her forearms on the table. "Let's say you could," she challenged. "But are you willing to follow the conditions?"

He had never been very good with rules. It was why most of his relationships ended. But this wasn't a relationship, he reminded himself. There was less at stake. It would be easier. He leaned forward and mimicked her position. "More than."

It was when she sat back with a smirk that Harry thought he might be a little in over his head.

The conditions (rules) were as follows:

No sleepovers (which he should've seen coming)No telling anyone they're involved (he may have already broken that one, but he wasn't going to tell her that) (he also was trying very hard not to be offended that she hadn't bragged about meeting him to anyone)No meeting up before three o'clock in the afternoon (this made no sense to harry, but Della swore no one met up with their fuck buddies before happy hour—from his experience, that wasn't exactly true but she spoke with too much authority for him to question it)No dates (if they went out to dinner or grabbed drinks, they would split the bill fifty-fifty–Harry only agreed to this to avoid an argument but there was no way in hell he'd let her pay for anything)No catching feelings. The second someone came close, they had to be over (Harry's cheeks flamed on this one, and he really pretended not to know why)

After they finished their drinks, Harry walked her to her door and they parted ways without a kiss. He would've, but Della refused to kiss him after having kissed someone else. Harry was grateful that she at least respected him that much, but part of him wanted her so badly that it wouldn't have minded. So it was probably best that she didn't.

He had just come back from a run when his phone buzzed with a text from the enigma herself. It was a link to a jazz bar with the question: Tonight?

Harry Googled the place and saw it was a fifteen minute drive from him and a twenty minute walk from her flat.

He texted back. I'll pick you up at 9?

I'll walk

No you won't. I'll pick you up at 9.

Fine, bossy

You know you like it

Maybe only a little. For now, at least. Try me again in a few hours

Harry rubbed his palm over his smile, trying to wipe it away. See you later, Del

He had sent the message before he could think through the nickname. For a second, he stared at the message with a stomach full of nerves–but they vanished when the little thumbs up appeared above the bubble.

***

"You can't do that," Della's voice was stern as she spoke into her phone. She was half-ready for the beach, in her blue bikini with her cover dress gripped in her fist.