Chapter 43

Kade

I'm yanked away from Sage in two seconds flat and while I could've blocked the blow my best friend was gearing to land on my face, I knew he needed this. Someone to blame and place that well hidden anger of his in regards to the hell his little sister has ensured. And I, well I had no one to blame but myself for not being honest with him when this whole thing began.

"Kyle stop it!" Sage screams, planting herself between her brother and me. I'd rather feel Kyle's wrath than allow my girl another moment of pain. "Please!" She begs as I move her behind me as Kyle's fist lands on my face.

"You backstabbing fucker! You know the hell she's been through and here you are taking advantage of her like a fucking parasite!" He growls in my face before Mikey and Tanner pull him back, allowing me to rub my jaw. "I trusted you, Kade, like a fucking brother and you take advantage of my sister!"

"That's not what happened, man. Look, we wanted to tell you—" I start as Sage places her delicate hand on my chest. "Kade wanted to protect me and everything's new, Kyle. You know he would never do anything to hurt me. If anything, he's probably more protective than before and I get it, you're angry, but can we not ruin Mom's party right now."

"Just how new are we talking, because you've been pretty protective and dare I say possessive since Sage was in a coma, bro," Tanner scoffs as he crosses his arms over his chest. His gray eyes are cold as steel and I know without a doubt I'm on my own here. "Is that why you dumped Lola? To fulfill some fucked up fantasy and be with Sage?"

"What the fuck are you talking about? He dumped her because she was cheating on him, dude," Mikey slaps Tanner on the back of the head before glaring at me. "Still, this is all kinds of fucked up, bro." Sage plasters herself to my side and my friends are all looking at me like I'm the biggest piece of shit on the planet. Maybe I am, knowing how this would play out. But the girl beside is absolutely worth everything I have and will endure to keep her by my side.

"You can be mad at me all you want, but I don't, no I won't regret being in love with this girl for the last six years. We allowed that scumbag Anthony to steal those years away from us, but I won't let us be robbed of our future." I sigh as I hold her close, my heart beating wildly in my chest at my confession. "We love each other, Kyle."

He stares at me, pale blue eyes narrowed and with a crowd forming from the chaos we've ensued, my best friend looks on with pure loathing. "I hope she's worth throwing away over thirteen years of friendship. Get your shit out of my house by Monday," he growls, glancing briefly at his sister before turning away and shoving past Tanner and Mikey on his way out. There's hushed whispers and I've no doubt someone's recorded the events as they unfolded, but I can't worry about that now when my girl's beside me sniffling watching as her brother disappears out the door.

"This is all my fault!" Sage cries into my shoulder. I waste no time pulling her along behind me as we pass by security to head up the stairs. "We should've told him and then—" her shaking hand clutched in mine, I unlock my room door and guide her inside. Sage drops onto my bed, her face buried in her hands and I wish tonight would've had a better outcome. "I've only seen him this mad once and it was that night."

"Firefly," I whisper, crossing the wooden floor to crouch in front of her. "This is on me, baby. You wanted to tell him and I wanted to wait." Taking her hands in mine, I kiss them and then wipe the tears streaming down her beautiful face. "Even if we told him six years ago or a week ago it wouldn't have changed a thing. He's still going to feel betrayed and angry, but I'll fix it. I will."

"How? Kade, he kicked you out," she cries, dropping into my arms and I stand, her legs around my waist as I take the spot she vacated. For as long as I can remember this has been my family, my home when my parents died and Kyle was my brother, still is even if he's pissed at me. "I'll talk to my parents, okay. They won't let you move out."