Prologue- Alex

Alex

I was heartbroken.

Yeah-not the start you were looking forward to, was it?

Me neither.

The pain flooded through my chest, picking at every tiny piece of my heart, the realization that this was really the end and there was no going back… It was now a memory forever painfully ingrained in my mind, as I watched the most beautiful, heart wrenching scene unfold in my life.

I was watching the love of my life get married.

But I wasn't the one standing at the aisle.

Ironic isn't it?

A woman I loved, loved another.

The consequences of unrequited love bared its ugly self at me today, mocking me as if to tell me that after everything, the sacrifices I made, I didn't get the girl.
The constant mocking should've made me angry, bitter at the fact that she was going to be happy without me. That I didn't get a happily ever after with the girl I had loved all my life.

I should've been hateful towards her.

But I couldn't find it in me not to be happy for her. She's been through so much- me being one of the factors of the difficulties she faced in life and now she was finally happy. Truly happy.

I had to be happy for her.

Even if it wasn't with me.

Which was why, despite my intentions not to attend her wedding and leave the country immediately after my discharge from the hospital, I still decided to stay and watch her get married.
Alyssa Brown was my best friend before I fell in love with her, so what kind of friend would it make me if I didn't attend my best friend's wedding?

I feel my heart hurt just staring at her. She was beautiful, and yet she made a gorgeous bride. The wedding dress she picked was perfect for her. She wasn't the type to go over the top with makeup, which was so enthralling because Alyssa was just so effortlessly beautiful.

"I do" Daniel Ross says to Al and the hearing of the crowd. I feel my lips widen when a tear rolls down his cheek.

Me too brother. Me too.

"...with the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

I swiftly get up from my seat, turning away just as Daniel raises the white veil, and it's not long before the whole congregation is applauding.

There's only so much I can take.

"Alex!!" Someone calls loudly behind me . I turned just to see Jess pushing through the crowd, walking towards me.

"You stayed."

"Aren't you meant to be with the bride? You are the chief bridesmaid after all." I tell her with a smile which she mirrors.

"She was really hurt when she went to visit you in your room, but you had been discharged and you didn't tell her. Sort of brings back old memories. "

Oh no.

I knew exactly what she meant because I had done the same thing to Al, the first time... leaving the state after breaking up with her-except I wasn't shot that time and had left for her safety.

But now, this time- it was for my own sanity. And I didn't realize the dèja vu move I pulled.

"Please let her know that I came. That I would never miss my best friend's wedding for the world." Her smile dims, registering my words.