THREE

𝑩𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝑰 𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒊𝒕, 𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒚 𝒍𝒖𝒈𝒈𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒓, 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒎𝒚 𝒇𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒑𝒐𝒓𝒕.

I was wearing my comfiest sweatpants and cropped top with a sweatshirt in hand. My headphones, phone, and snacks were tucked away in my backpack that was swung over my shoulder. I was prepared for the longest flight of my life, and I was also prepared to lose all feeling in my legs halfway through. My parents were giddy with excitement, as they placed their belongings in the car.

"Ready to go?" He asks me, a smile painted across his face.

"Yup, as ready as I'll ever be," I say, giving him a thumbs up.

We all hopped into my aunt's car and drove off. As I waved goodbye to my house, my phone was blowing up with goodbye and good luck messages from Addie, Evelyn, Gianna, and Kinsley. I had invited Kinsley over last night. Partly as a celebration of the last day of school, and partly as an 'I need help packing and we need a sleepover before I peace out for three months'. She understood instantly, and she was over at my house in less than an hour. While she was over, she gave me an instructive lesson on being safe, and she showed me the pieces of lingerie that she had bought for me. I was certain I wasn't going to touch them through my trip. Later this morning, I rolled my eyes as I found the box of condoms she had snuck into my suitcase with a Post-It Noted smiley face on it.

I responded to all the messages with multiple 'I'LL MISS YOU's' and an overload of hearts. I turned and looked out the window as we neared the airport. My parents were getting more and more excited, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't too. I just think they forgot about the 11-hour flight in between. I yawned and I was grateful because then I could sleep the whole flight.

We arrived and got our suitcases out. Many 'goodbyes' and 'have funs' were exchanged between my family and my aunt before she drove off. We entered the airport, checked in, got through TSA, and walked around. We located our gate and sat down. We had made it just in time, and boarding would begin soon. By this time, I had my headphones over my ears, and I was in my own world. Boarding began, and we got on the plane, We were situated in our seats shortly, and I thanked God for my parents booking first class. I had been dreading the awkward stuffing of suitcases in the above compartments.

I stretched my legs out, and a tired sigh left my mouth. I looked out my window to see the L.A. airport, looking as boring as ever. I waved goodbye to it, and I leaned back in my chair. The usual instructional video began, but God forbid we enter an emergency, because I wouldn't know what to do. I was out and asleep before the video finished.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up and the plane was dark. My window was pitch black, and I realized we were above the clouds, enclosed in the darkness of the night. I checked my screen in front of me, and the flight still had 5 hours left.

'Damn, I was out for 6 hours?' I think, stretching my arms upward. My body answered my question with the immediate need to pee. I unbuckled myself and stood up, making my way to the bathroom that was currently occupied. I stood outside, tapping my foot, my headphones still over my ears, blasting music that kept me entertained while standing there. Soon, the door opened, and a short, kind-looking Asian woman stepped outside.

"Oh! Sorry! I didn't realize anyone was waiting," She whisper-apologizes.

"No! You are okay! I haven't been waiting long," I say, giving her my kindest smile.

"Oh, alright. Have a good rest of your flight," She says, waving to me as she walks away.

"You too!" I say, waving back. I smile at the kind woman, and I enter the bathroom to do what I came for.

Once I was back in my seat, I opened my iPad and speed-ran Duolingo, as Evelyn had suggested. Once I felt I had learned enough to get me to a bathroom and a place where they sell milk, I fell asleep again for the remainder of the flight.

The next time I woke up, the plane was landing, and people were already gathering their belongings. I gathered my own things, and opened my window to see the city we were landing into. I was greeted by a bright sunny city, with scattered tall buildings here and there. The flight attendant announced over the system that we were landing at Incheon Airport, and I smiled. 'Finally here, I guess' I thought. Once the plane was safely on the ground, everyone hustled to grab their things and exit the aircraft. I noticed the same woman from the bathroom earlier struggling to get her bag down, so I walked over to her and helped her get it down. She looked at me and smiled, thanking me over and over again, no matter how many times I reassured her that it was okay. I allowed her to exit the plane before me, and it made me happy to see her smiling from ear to ear as we walked together to the gate.

"It was so nice meeting you uh.....?" She says.

"Ellie," I say, smiling.

"Ah! Ellie. I hope we meet again!" She says, beaming.

"I hope so too Mrs...?" I say.

"Ji-won, Ji-won Park." She says, nodding her head.

"Ms. Park. Safe travels," I say.

"You as well," She says, before taking her suitcase and walking off. I smiled as I watched her walk away before my parents came up from behind me.

"Ready to go?" my mom asks.

"Yup! Let's go!" I say, beaming at them.

South Korea, here I come.

Author's Note

Hi guys! Or 안녕하세요 (annyeonghaseyo)! We've finally made it to Korea, and we already seem to be off to a good start with Ms. Park! Hopefully, we will meet her again! Thank you so much for reading up until now! I realize the chapters are kinda short, but they will get longer as more happens! I hope you guys are enjoying it so far, and continue to look out for more parts to come! And please vote, that would help so much! Thanks again! <333