four

Genevieve exhaled a breath of frustration, her focus fixed on the laptop screen that was cluttered with complex code and algorithms

Genevieve exhaled a breath of frustration, her focus fixed on the laptop screen that was cluttered with complex code and algorithms. The culmination of months of work was within reach, and the intensity of her task was evident in the rapid dance of her fingers across the keyboard.

The unexpected knock at the door jolted her from her digital world. She rose, crossing the room to find John on her doorstep, his smile warm as he presented a bag of Henry's belongings. "Henry asked me to drop this off. Is he around?" John inquired.

"He's in the living room," Genevieve replied, stepping aside to let John enter.

John's eyes drifted to the laptop as he placed the bag on the counter. "Something big you're working on?" he asked, a note of genuine interest in his voice.

A soft smile touched Geneviev's lips as she lifted the laptop, bringing it over to him. "It's my final project. It analyzes security footage to identify suspects based on their gait. It's still a prototype, but it's showing promise," she explained with a mix of pride and fatigue.

John leaned closer; his attention captured by the program. "Impressive," he said quietly. "The LAPD really could use a mind like yours. Have you given it any more thought?"

Her laughter was tinged with embarrassment. "A bit," she admitted.

John's smile grew. "If you decide to pursue it, let me know. I'd be happy to put in a good word with Sergeant Grey."

"Thanks, John. That means a lot," Genevieve said, her voice betraying a hint of hesitation.

A silent moment passed between them, charged with unspoken possibilities. John stepped closer, his hand almost reaching for her shoulder before he seemed to think better of it.

"I should head out," he said suddenly, his voice low. "But Genevieve..." He paused, his hand falling to his side. "If you're serious about the LAPD, call me. And tell Henry his things are on the counter."

"Will do," she responded quietly, watching as John turned and left, the air still vibrating with the tension of their exchange and leaving her heart racing with a complex blend of anticipation and an inexplicable yearning.