I

Summer '02
Roseline Walker

"Oh god, no it's Saturday me and Em are supposed to go to arcade this evening," I say to Lexi who's been conceiving me to go to club , she can take her shift at the hospital off, and can leave Luke —her six years old son with his grandmother for a day, and that her mother can watch Emily —my 5 years old daughter too.

But it's my and Em's tradition to go arcade every Saturday, I can't go out and leave her.

"Can't you delay that for one night?" Lexi argues this was a special night, the night all of the popular kids in the school will be at the club, so you should come with us too.

"No, Em and will be disappointed if I delay to next week, and there always next week for us to go to the club," I reply firmly.

Lexi rolls her eyes. "You're no fun, Rosie. You're like an old woman." She sighs a little, but knows that I'm not gonna change my mind.

Lexi knows that Emily is my priority over everyone and everything else. But still, she doesn't stop trying to get me to go with her to the club. She always wants me to be more social and to meet new people. But I'm not interested in that.

"Don't be a party pooper, Ros, come. We'll have so much fun, you're going to get a boyfriend, we'll get drunk," she pouts as she try to guilt trip me.
I shushed her as I propped myself on the couch beside her, "The kids are in the house, Lex!" I tell her.

"They're upstairs" she shrugs "But seriously you need to get a boyfriend or something, the club would help you a lot"

"I don't need a boyfriend or one night stand, if it means I have to disappoint my daughter," I replied back as I turned the television on.

"Suit yourself, but you're missing out," Lexi grumbles "Well I have to get back to my shift at the hospital, when's yours?" she asks standing up.

"I got a night one, going to spend some time with Em in the Arcade, before that, can your mom watch Emily for the night? I'll pick her up tomorrow morning," I say to her

"Yes of course, I'll call her" Lexi replies.

She smiles at me "Good luck with Em, and if you get lonely, remember there's nothing wrong with one night stand" she adds with a cheeky grin.
"just go," I rolled my eyes.

She laughs before calling her son's name "Luke! Mommy's leaving" Luke and Emily comes running down the stairs.

She leans down kissing his cheek and taking a kiss from him "Aunty, Rose is going to watch you, she'll take you to the arcade too, then drop you off at grandmother's okay?" She tells Luke while kissing his nose.

"Okay mum!" Luke agrees as his eyes twinkled from happiness "can we get a burger afterwards or icecream?" he asks.

Lexi nods to him "Yeah, but you have to be well behaved until then, okay?" she tells him while giving him a kiss on his cheek.

"Hey you little princess, give aunty Lexi a kiss too," she says to Emily leaning down to her now

"Okay, okay," Emily says obediently, kissing Lexi on her cheek.

Lexi smiles at her, "Alright you two, be good for Mommy or Aunty Rose."

Emily gives a quick nod, as does Luke. They're so cute together, but it's funny how they look so different from one another.

Lexi gives them each another kiss on the cheek, before saying, "I love you both," and she leaves the house.

"Hey, let's go upstairs and get ready, we've got to get to the arcade before everyone else," I say to the kids who are waiting impatiently in the living room.