Chapter 14

Loryan Vaktear, Prince Vaktear of Antania, a kingdom of rivers and lakes surrounded by oceans, stormed out of the throne room, leaving the king, his father, as calm as ever despite the conversation they had just had. Loryan had just filled his father in on what Anahita's spirit's presence had done to the dark God, Demodius. How their goddess had sent part of herself out of this world to save them all, and how, with Celeste's arrival, Demodius was back. He realized that that was why the sudden attack had occurred nights before.
His father listened, and his judging gaze never wavered as he sat like a perfect doll on his throne. He didn't even budge as Loryan got to the part where Demodius had awakened from his slumber. His father just blinked, the only sign of surprise he would allow.
Fury flowed through him as he demanded that his father say something. The king's scarred lip moved tightly as he spoke. The mask he wore around the rest of the kingdom was nothing close to the man he was in private.
"You will remain at Celeste, Alice, and Jack's side and-"
"I'm not a babysitter, father. I would be much more useful on the front lines, keeping the possessed at bay. I'm not a-"
"You will do as you are told, Loryan. I've had enough of your sulking." The king raised his voice, and it resonated through the room, sending the fish lights swimming sporadically in a panic. Prince Vaktear stared at the king as anger began to spread through his body in the form of uncomfortable pressure. As though the blood in his veins had begun moving throughout his body with a vengeful strength, like storming ocean waters.
His throat bobbed, and his lips pressed into a tight line. "I will worry about our numbers and their placements around my kingdom. You will only instruct Commander Ulric of the Hydra to recruit more soldiers to protect the capital and its border. You are tasked with the protection of our guests. If the girl decides to take her seat at my side, she will be your queen. You are to protect that potential queen." It was less of a question and more of an order.
Loryan's nose curled. For some reason, the prince was annoyed that the king wouldn't refer to Celeste by name. She was the vessel of their goddess; she deserved his respect, at the very least. But instead of saying anything, Loryan gritted his teeth before nodding and folding into a short, half-assed bow, then spinning on his heel.
"And Loryan, I will be informing the neighbouring kingdoms of what is coming to our shores. Do not be surprised if soldiers from other kingdoms come to our aid if it becomes necessary." That was the last thing his father said before the large doors shut behind Loryan.
He was fuming. His father would rather bring in soldiers from other kingdoms than let his son aid the Hydra. He was strong. He had some... stuff to work through with his power, but he could learn to be useful.
He swore under his breath and heard a screech behind him, then a thud.
Loryan spun and quickly forgot his anger. He had pinned Sphen to the wall with his power. Water spikes of his creation stuck out of the boy's clothing, and his feet dangled off the floor.
Subconsciously, he mistook Sphen for danger. Whenever Loryan let his emotions run wild, his power detected the weakness. It would act on its own to protect him. It was a mistake he often made when he was angry, which seemed to be often these days.
Perhaps his father had a reason for keeping off the front lines, but... he was the Hydra's crown prince; he should be at the front lines. If not for his power, then for his presence and the moral boost it would give their forces.
"Sphen!" Loryan reached for Sphen's arm with his shaking hand as he willed the spikes to collapse. He lifted the boy to his feet. Most people used their strong emotions to fuel and control their abilities, but they seemed to have the opposite effect on Loryan. They fueled his abilities but gave him no control.
He often wondered when he would learn. The Master always made it look so easy, and he had long ago promised the prince that it would come with time and maturity, but Loryan still hadn't mastered his power. He was... ashamed of his problem and wasn't about to bother the master with his issue now that Demodius was amongst them. He had to worry about helping Celeste now. She had to be his priority, for all their sakes, if Anahita's conversation with Celeste had been of any indication. 
"It's alright, Your Highness," Sphen said, letting out a shaky breath. He avoided the prince's concerned eyes, and shame hit him like a blow to the gut. "It's amazing seeing your abilities in action." He smiled shyly. "But sir, I have an urgent message for you from Master Orhye." What small smile Sphen had was now gone and replaced with a scowl. "There's been another attack."
Loryan's heart lurched, and panic surged up in him like a sudden violent tidal wave. He began to run.
He shouldn't have left the capital.
He never should have left.