Chapter Twenty-Two

I walked over to Kilkenny where I would meet Robyn and her friend. She had gone ahead to alert him of my arrival, and to recruit him to our cause. It was a long walk, so I had lots of time to think of what to say and do once I got there. I thought about it for the entire way there, through the meadows, the vine passageway, and the burned-down forest. The ideal thing was that Robyn's friend would take this all in stride. He was the one to introduce Robyn to the wolfwalkers, after all. He would at least know something about the myths and legends of wolfwalkers.

    I met Robyn at the border of the forest. "Hey," I questioned, "where's your friend?" 

    She started walking over to the town. "He's gathering a few of his friends, then he'll be right over." 

   I shrugged. "The more, the merrier, I guess." We walked over near the sheep pastures, where a group of adults was waiting for us, leaning against the gates. "Hey! Girl! Did ye bring your friend with ya?" One of the men said as he walked towards Robyn. 

    "Yes, I did! This is Sean. We met him out in the forest." Robyn gestured toward me.

    The man gasped. "The escaped lad! How ye doin, boy?"

    I sighed. "I don't know. These past few weeks have been weird and hectic for me."

    The man nodded. "The name's Sean, by the way."

    "Sean?"

    "Yup."

    "That's my name too!" 

    We both laughed. "This is going to get confusing real fast."

    "Sure is. How about this? I'll call you Wolf Boy, OK?"

    "Whatever works."

    Robyn stepped in. "Now that we've gotten that settled, can we move to the more urgent topic?"

    The man nodded again. "You said we could overthrow the Lord Protector with your help, right? Well, I brought some buddies of mine who also think Lord Ironsides should take a swim back across the river." The group cheered. 

    Robyn, me, and Sean all walked over to the group. "Hi," I said, "My name's Sean, but you can call me Wolf Boy because apparently, the name's already been taken." The group chuckled. "Do you all know about wolfwalkers?" The group nodded. "I'm one of them, and so is she." They took it surprisingly well. No shouting, no axes and weapons, nothing.

    "Hadn't been the weirdest thing I've seen in this place." One member said. The rest all murmured assent.

    "We think that if we can get the townspeople to unite with the wolves against a common enemy, we can simultaneously get rid of the Lord Protector, and build trust between the townspeople and the wolves."

    "What about the guards?" One of the group members asked. 

    "Don't worry about that. I have someone who can convince the guards to turn to our side." Sean smiled. "I also need you guys to spread the word. Friends, family, you name it. We need them cooperative and ready to fight." The group all nodded. They went off and started to walk back into the town walls. Sean stayed behind to catch up with me. 

    "You know," Sean sighed, "I knew your mother and father."

    "Before the hanging?"

    Sean looked at me, confused. "No, what hanging? Yer parents weren't hanged, they just vanished. Not a trace of them anywhere."

    There was still hope! I had misinterpreted the signs people had given me and had bought another of the Lord Protector's lies. I gritted my teeth. "He lied to me about my parents. He said they were hanged for insubordination after he banished me into the forest."

    "Another reason we should string Ol' Ironsides up and send him packing his high horse back to his own damn country. Put me in the stocks for voicin' my opinions, the fat fish." I smiled, picturing a sardine riding a horse into battle. "Well, I should be goin' now. You have to tell the people about this rebellion. Good luck with that, by the way. I sure hope we get Cromwell, the old bat." We both waved and parted ways.

    "Now, we just have the guards to deal with. Time to get your dad, eh?" I said to Robyn. 

    "Yeah. Let's hope the guards are as easy as the townsfolk, or we'll be in big trouble."

    "Ah, it's gonna be fine! Just ask them about the wages, and they'll come over fine." Robyn laughed, and we talked all the way back to the den, where we would set the second phase of our plan into action.