004 ● VISIONS

"Dream of me?"

"Maybe."

Paul stood in a training room, sword in hand, whacking at a training mannequin. His mind was distracted, thinking of the dangers that awaited them on Arrakis. His breath stuttered as he felt Gurney Halleck walk into the room. 

"Don't stand with your back to the door. How many times do we need to tell you?" Gurney said, his arms filled with weapons. 

"I could tell it was you by your footsteps, Gurney Halleck." Paul said, stopping his furious training and pouring a glass of water. 

"Someone could imitate my stride."

"I would know the difference."

Gurney hummed and placed the weapons on a table, his back to Paul. 

"Are you the new weapons master?" Paul asked, his glass of water in his hand. 

"With Duncan Idaho gone, I must make do as best I can." He gestured to the weapons. "Choose you blade."

"Not today. Give us a song instead." Paul shook his head, turning his back to the war master. Without warning, Gurney threw a rapier towards the young lord, causing it to sink into the wood of the table next to Paul. "That was rude."

Paul grabbed the blade in one quick motion, spinning to meet Gurney's blade. Gurney stepped back, pausing to activate his shield, the blue shimmering in the air for a second before disappearing. Paul followed suit, using his sword to test the integrity of the shield, hitting his arm quickly a few times, repelled by the shield, before slowly lowering the blade. The shield blinked red quickly. Only the slow blade penetrates. 

Gurney quickly lunged forward, meeting Paul's blade with a harsh swing of his own. Their blades flashed in the air as they slash and parry. Their shields blinked blue and red as they danced around each other. 

Gurney grabbed Paul's sword hand and forced him to the ground, pushing his blade slowly against Paul's neck, the young man's shield blinking red furiously. 

"Never let anyone into your guard! Not even me! Don't loose focus!" Gurney shouted in Paul's face. 

"Guess I'm not in the mood today." Paul remarked, shoving Halleck off of him and standing up. 

"Mood?! What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises, no matter your mood! Now fight!" Gurney shouted, angered. He charges at Paul, knocking his blade out of his hands. 

Paul leapt away, towards the table full of weapons. He grabbed two short knives and charged back into the fight. Paul moved fast, parrying Gurney's blade and knocking him to the ground, holding his knives against Gurney's throat. 

"I have you." He panted.

"Aye, but look down m'lord." Paul glanced down to see Gurney's blade pushing against his ribcage and his shield blinking red. "You'd have joined me in death. I see you found the mood."

Paul grimaced and pushed himself up, putting his blades away and turning his shield off. 

"Will it be that bad?" Paul asked, pouring himself more water.