spoiled (1)

1/1
Credit: by boyishly (wooji) on Ao3 (love me some bratty jake😣)

The thing about Jake is that—he speaks like someone who has easily gotten everything he asks for. If he blinks enough times, smiles sweetly enough, tacks on a lovely 'please' at the end of his sentence—it's basically a pass for him to get away with anything. In return he had to do well, be a good boy and behave. Which he is. He's the sweetest, the best boy Heeseung could ask for. But it also means that when he is not getting what he wants, it is an excuse to act up, cross his arms and pout as if he were still a child who refuses to listen.

"Jaeyun-ah, what was that earlier?"

The door clicks close behind Heeseung and Jake sighs the way he gets when he's too tired to converse. Heeseung isn't the type to yell, but instead the tension in the room becomes cold and thick when he speaks. He knows it makes it hard for Jake to breathe.

"Is that any way to speak to your hyung?"

"Sorry," Jake says, pout clear in his voice even when he's not even looking at Heeseung. "I wasn't thinking, I was just upset."

"Of course, you weren't. You didn't even think twice when you humiliated me earlier." It's an exaggeration, of course. But Jake wasn't there to see it when the staff glanced at Heeseung with scorn in his eyes. It wasn't that bad, he's dealt with worse people who thinks cursing someone out could work wonders but Heeseung didn't particularly enjoy having the staff clicking their tongues and telling him off for not being able to control his teammate as the oldest member.

Heeseung doesn't tell Jake all this, he feels like Jake should know it himself. After all he's the most sensitive when it comes to the members' mood swings, always the first to try to cheer them up. This, of course, is not the case when Jake is the one with a tantrum. He tries to pout his way out and when that didn't work Jake chews on his bottom lip so hard Heeseung wonders when it'll start bleeding.

"Hm? What were you thinking when you stormed out like that?"

"Just..." Jake's voice shakes. He's so used to be let off so easily, Heeseung wonders if he's the first person to properly scold Jake. Heeseung's not even raising his voice. "... Wanted to get your attention."

"You're getting my attention right now. This is what you wanted, and you still won't even look at me?"

At that, Jake looks up from under his bangs, eyes wide and so, so wet. And 'course, there's the pout in place. Heeseung knows he's just hoping that Heeseung will fall for those puppy dog eyes of his. Heeseung knows it too well, has seen it work on anyone that's easy enough to fall for it. Maybe Heeseung is a bit mean-spirited compared to the rest, but he likes to think he's not that easy to rope around to Jake's whims. It's not an act, of course. Jake isn't manipulative in that way, it's just in his nature to make people feel bad for even thinking of getting mad at him. He'll worry on his bottom lip and looks hopefully for someone—for Heeseung to comfort him.

"Come on, now. I'm not mad," Heeseung says, gently taking Jake's chin in his hand to tilt his face up. Then he tightens his grip, not too much, just enough that his fingers dent the skin. "I know you can't help it since you've been spoiled all your life."

Jake blinks in surprise. Heeseung smiles. "Sorry," he says. "Was I too mean?"

"You're not... you're never mean."

Of course Jake thinks so. Heeseung could shove him a little too hard and he'd still smile at Heeseung as if the older had hung up the stars in the sky. Jake's so sweet that it's almost stupid of him. Heeseung thinks about how this is also one of the reasons people can't stay mad at him. Again, Heeseung is mean enough to take that as a chance to see how far he can push Jake, if he'll keep looking up at Heeseung with wide adoration.