Chapter 2: On the Road Again

    Kaili’s voice crackled over the walkie, making me jump out of my thoughts.

                “Don’t you find it odd that there’s no one here?” He observed

                “Kinda…” I replied as I scanned the expanse of this part of the city.

                “It kind of reminds me of the anime—“

                “10 minutes from the AMPM guys,” Adrian cut Kaili off. “Gas up and go?”

                “I think we should check the bigger cities first…” Beth trailed off.

                “Really? Wouldn’t that have the highest concentration of the infected?” Isaiah broke in.

                “I think we can put up with it, I say it’s worth a shot.”

                “Alright then,” Kaili said and then went silent, I heard Shadow whine over the roar of the engines as we drove. I could smell the smoke before I saw it, then I saw the huge fires raging over the fields, they roared well away from where we were headed, yet I still cringed. As we parked at the AMPM, we all looked around as we gassed up. The place was completely empty.

Isaiah, Creston and I walked inside, Beth, Kaili, and Adrian were by the cars. The cash register was open, but all the money was still there. I thought back to every zombie move I had ever seen as a child and I pulled out my dual machetes. I walked around to the other side of the counter. On the floor was a blood puddle, but no body.

“Something is seriously wrong here guys…” I muttered.

“Cleanup on isle three… and four… and five…” Isaiah trailed off as he walked down the isles, glancing at all the blood. Creston took a deep breath and loaded his .22 long.

“Guys… Let’s get out of here,” I gulped uncertainly. “This might be too dangerous.”

Just then, from the back of the room, we heard a glass bottle hit the floor. I whipped around to face an infected coming around the corner. I jumped back as Isaiah brought his tomahawk down, slicing through the zombies head with a crunch. I gasped as the blood spattered, missing us barely. I heard Creston’s gun fire of a round, then another.

I dashed down an isle, jumping over puddles of blood. I sliced down a machete into the neck of an infected. It reached an arm towards me as I brought my other machete down on its head. The blood was everywhere. I heard Beth yell, and dashed out of the building, following Isaiah and Creston. Adrian pulled out an AA12, I had no time to gawk, I simply started hacking at what I saw.

Kaili pulled out his pistol, and with precision aim, he danced among the undead, firing bullets straight into their heads. It looked so natural. Isaiah swung his tomahawk in a batting motion, talking off a zombies face in the process.

Then I saw Beth. She brought her katana down with such a force it sliced all the way from the zombies head to its torso. She twisted it and yanked it out, taking off the front upper half of its body with her. Then her slash brought her through a 180 and into the side of the head of another zombie.

I grinned and we fought our way until we were back to back.

“Where in God’s name did all of these come from!” I heard Adrian yell.

“The city!” Beth shouted back. “We didn’t notice them because we were checking out the guns, it was too late!”

“Well… Game plan anyone?” I said as I did a little ninja move and brought my machetes down and out, slicing into two zombie faces.