Chapter 11

Siya POV:

The next morning, Abhiram joins the family for breakfast, and Dadaji, with a stern expression, looks at him. "Abhiram, where were you last night during Karwa Chauth celebrations?"

Abhiram's eyes flicker with guilt for a moment as he responds, "Dadaji, I had an urgent work meeting. I lost track of time; I apologize."

Dadaji's stern expression softens, but there's still a hint of disappointment. "Work is important, but family are equally significant. Next time, inform us if you can't make it on time."

Abhiram nods, acknowledging Dadaji's words. However, when he catches my gaze, guilt intensifies in his eyes for a brief moment. He realizes the impact of his absence on me during Karwa Chauth.

As the breakfast progresses, I sit quietly, feeling a pang of hunger. Abhiram notices my unease and, in a moment of frustration, lashes out, "Siya, why didn't you eat last night? I told you not to wait for me!"

His words sting, and the family falls silent. I, trying to maintain composure, reply calmly, "I wanted to wait for you. It's my choice, and on Karwa Chauth, tradition is that the husband feeds the first bite to his wife himself."

Abhiram, realizing the cultural significance of Karwa Chauth, looks momentarily remorseful. However, he quickly regains composure and retorts, "Siya, traditions are fine, but I can't control my work schedule. Don't make a big deal out of it."

Abhiram quickly masks his guilt with annoyance, "Well, next time, don't wait. I can't be responsible for your decisions."

The atmosphere becomes tense, and I decide to let it go. I don't want to escalate the situation in front of the family.

As the day unfolds, the routine continues with Abhiram coming home late. I patiently waited, and as always, I prepare dinner, and as usual, I give him his meal in the bedroom, a quiet exchange without much conversation. I then retreat to the kitchen to eat my own dinner, not in the mood to engage in any argument.

After finishing my meal, I return to the bedroom, only to find Abhiram already asleep. I quietly go to my side of the bed, the silence echoing the unspoken distance between us. Tomorrow is my birthday, and a sense of anticipation and loneliness lingers in the air. It's not a new feeling; even my dad and brother usually forget, and this family of mine doesn't even know about it.

As I lay there, I find solace in the fact that I know how to pamper myself. A smile played on my lips as on my birthday, I usually buy a cake, chocolates, and flowers, creating a small celebration for myself. I keep a photo of my mom nearby, making it a moment to share with her in spirit my way of connecting with her presence. I also visiting the orphanage, spreading joy to those who might not have someone to celebrate with.

Tomorrow will be no different. With these thoughts, a sense of contentment washes over me, and I let the comforting embrace of sleep engulf my thoughts, looking forward to cherishing the simple joys of self-pampering on my birthday.

The next morning, as the sun painted the sky with hues of warmth, I decided to start my birthday with a simple act of kindness. With a quiet excitement, I go to the kitchen and began preparing breakfast for everyone in the family. The aroma of fresh coffee, Idli Sambar, Pav Bhaji and many more Indian dishes creating a cozy atmosphere.

After carefully placing each dish on the dining table, I waited for everyone to gather. As the family sat down for breakfast, I observed the joy on their faces as they indulged in the morning meal. Abhiram, engrossed in his routine, hardly noticed the extra effort I had put in today.

Once the serving was done, I seized the moment when Abhiram excused himself to head to the office. With a gentle tone, I approached the elders and sought permission to go outside. "May I go out for a while? There's something I need to attend to," I requested, trying to keep it vague.