Chapter 14. The Personal Quest

The first thing I did after parting with Elek and getting my reward from Johnny was venturing back to the mines. No matter how tired I was, my worry over Totto only grew stronger and I felt somewhat responsible for his injuries. I found my way across the mines the very same way I did the first time – by following the strongest magical source I could feel. It didn't take me as long as the first time though, as there were no more rats in the mines and the passages were completely empty.

Still, my feet were ready to chop me into pieces if they only had such an opportunity when I finally reached my destination. The entire walking today had taken its toll on my body, but I did my best at ignoring it. I pushed the wooden door open and entered the cavern. It looked just like I remembered it – littered with parchments and books. A total mess, if you ask me.

I made my way across it, calling out for my dwarfy friend, "Jill?"

Instead of a normal greeting, I was tackled down by a huge black mass of growling shadow.

"Gah!" I yelled as I fell and the shadows above me took form to reveal my beast friend Totto. His head bopped up and down as he growled appreciatively and then bowed down to lick my cheek. I felt his slightly ticklish and wet tongue rub against my skin and giggled as Totto licked my cheek a few times.

"Ah, I thought you'd come over sooner or later," I heard Jill's voice boom over me and my dog friend growled as he finally jumped down from me.

"Yeah, sorry for dropping by earlier than planned," I said as picked myself up from the floor. Totto wagged its tail sideways and rubbed against my legs affectionately.

I smiled and squatted down to take a look at its side. "How is he, Jill?"

To my surprise, the wound on Totto's side was considerably smaller and as I ran my fingers along it gently, it seemed to be almost healed.

"Well, the puppy didn't even let me touch it, but, apparently, he has some self-healing abilities," Jill noted. "He just took a short nap and the wound healed by itself. Cool, isn't it?"

I nodded my head and rubbed Totto's head. It growled happily and I smiled. Thank the Gods he was fine. Apparently, I was worried for no reason.

"So, what happened?" Jill asked as she perched on a stool beside one of the desks.

"I'm not sure," I replied as I reached my hand into my sack. "Come here, Totto, I brought something for you."

The hound looked up at me expectantly and I took out a medium sized bone that I had secretly taken from the crypts while Elek was not looking. He would have had a fit if he knew.

"Here, Totto," I gave the bone to the hell hound and his red eyes glittered as soon as his teeth sank into the white bone.

I frowned slightly as Totto munched on the bone, holding it between his paws. I couldn't really tell what was so fascinating about bones. Yucky things.

"Well, if to cut the long story short," I said as I walked to Jill, "a portal was opened in Trarton cemetery crypts and a bunch of moving skeletons came out."

"Ohhhh," Jill stared at the ground contemplatively. "Sounds bad. Really bad."

"Apparently, such portals have been opened in other parts of Amyron too."

"Hmmm, demon portals require immense magical energy to open up," the dwarf commented. "And why would anyone want to do this?"

I pondered for a moment and then shrugged my shoulders. "You'll just laugh if I tell you."

"Girl, I've seen things you've only dreamt about," Jill scoffed. "There's nothing you can say that will surprise me at this point of my life."

"Oh, really?" I gave her a short smirk. "And what if I said it was a huge black dragon bent on destroying all humanity, huh?"