Give 'Em Hell, Kid

Deep breaths. You won’t get fired on your first day. This is what Gerard thought as he heard the tinkling of the bell when he entered Pencey Prep.

“Hey Frank, Gerard is here,’’ Ray yelled from the desk at the front of the store.

“Great! Tell him to come to the J aisle!”

‘’ J aisle’’ Ray said, simply smirking at him.

Gerard nodded,”Thanks.” He looked up at the signs, then followed the paper directions.

Frank laughed a little as he finished up what he was doing. “Welcome to Pencey Prep.’’

“Thank you... So what do I start with?” Gerard raised his eyebrows a bit, attempting to look eager.

Frank looked around the store and thought for a second. “There is nothing really to do right now.’’

“Umm... alright.” He bit his lip.

Frank looked over to where the guitars were and walked over grabbing one of the rack. “Do you play anything?” He asked Gerard.

“No, but I like to sing,’’ Gerard looked down. “I’ve never really done it in front of anybody besides my brother though.”

“Really? Huh.” Frank strummed a few chords.

Gerard nodded his head, “That sounds cool.’’ He mumbled.

“Do you want to give it a try?” Frank raised his eyebrows.

“Umm.. sure’’ Gerard looked up and smiled nervously.

Frank gestured to the guitar as he handed it to Gerard. “First you need to make sure you are holding it correctly.”

Gerard held the guitar anxiously, “Like this?’’ Gerard raised his eyebrow.

He adjusted Gerard’s arms a bit. “There. Perfect.”

Gerard smiled a little when Frank adjusted his arms ‘’ Thanks’’  Perfect. He called me perfect. He shook his head. What am I thinking?...

Frank smiled at Gerard ,watching him and his newbie awkwardness. “I’m assuming you don’t know any chords?”

Gerard nodded his head feeling a bit awkward.

“Alright. Put your index finger here.” He pointed to a fret. “Then your middle finger goes here.” He showed Gerard a different fret and string.

Gerard smiled and copied what Frank instructed. Franks smiled at Gerard and nodded “Good, now do this.’’ He air-strummed dramatically, with a goofy smile plastered onto his features. Gerard smiled at Frank and strummed the guitar, but not as dramatically. The educator did a small clap, grinning. Gerard looked down and blushed.

“Bravo. You are definitely rockstar material.” A trademark sideways smirk appeared on Frank.

“Thanks; I would love to hear you play some more.’’ Gerard smirked back.

He acted like he was thinking. “Hmm... Only if you sing a bit.”

“Hmmmm , I don’t know.’’ Gerard smirked at Frank.

“Please?” He pretended to pout.

Gerard simpered. “Okay,’’ he blushed a little looking down.

Frank chuckled then began strumming, humming a vague tune.

Gerard smiled as he recognized the tune his boss was humming and started to sing along. He nodded, closing his eyes and just listening to the guitar’s rhythm. He couldn’t quite remember the words, but some others just came to him.