Chapter 5

The night breeze rises, flowers bloom abundantly on trees, creating a spectacle of fiery trees and silver flowers, with stars showering like rain. As the most bustling city under the heavens, Chang'an remains lively even into the night. On this particular night, a residence in the west of the city stands out, bustling like a marketplace. The road is filled with luxurious carriages and fragrant with the scent of horses, attracting nobles, celebrities, and key government officials, gathering a significant number at once.

Chu Mingyun's gaze sweeps across his surroundings, landing on Song Heng, who stands at the entrance welcoming guests with a smile, "Four of the six ministers have arrived, a split between civil and military officials. This top scholar indeed has a great deal of face," he pauses, then sneers, "And a great deal of audacity."

The individual who stands out in the imperial examinations is always eagerly courted by those in power, with historical instances of competing for such individuals right after the announcement of results. However, hosting a grand banquet like this is unprecedented, especially one that includes members from both the Chu and Su factions, making it difficult to discern the intentions. It seems like a simple celebration, unafraid of the emperor's suspicion or public discourse.

As the flow of carriages at the entrance thins, the sound of music from within the residence grows louder. Song Heng appears somewhat nervously looking around. Chu Mingyun lowers the carriage curtain, telling Qin Zhao, "Alright, enough with the pretense. I'm heading over."

"I'll go with you," Qin Zhao says, about to stand up.

Chu Mingyun glances back at him with a smile, "There's no place for you at the banquet. What's the point in going and standing around like a pillar?"

"You didn't bring any weapons," Qin Zhao points out.

"Am I going there to fight?" Chu Mingyun lifts the folding fan in his hand, "This is enough."

Qin Zhao has no comeback but still insists on getting up.

"Ugh," Chu Mingyun expresses his impatience, "Junior brother, with your icy face, why are you always fussing like a mother?"

Qin Zhao: "…"

"When have I ever needed your protection?" Chu Mingyun flings the curtain aside and steps out of the carriage, "Stay in the carriage and enjoy some peace and quiet."

As soon as Chu Mingyun appeared, Song Heng hurried forward to greet him, sighing with relief as he said, "I was afraid Lord Chu would be too busy to come."

Chu Mingyun smiled. "How could I not make time for an invitation from the top scholar?"

With humble words, Song Heng personally led him inside. The courtyard was spacious, with seats arranged all around. In the center, ladies in red danced and sang lightly, while familiar officials laughed and chatted without end.

However, Song Heng took a different path, leading Chu Mingyun towards a higher place in the mansion. Seeing Chu Mingyun's puzzled look, he quickly explained, "Lord Chu, please this way. A special spot has been prepared for you."

Climbing up, they came upon a vermillion pavilion, surrounded on three sides by a pond, with a stream winding past the pavilion down the slope. From this vantage point, one could oversee the entire courtyard, yet those below could not see into this secluded and tranquil spot.

Chu Mingyun couldn't help but remark, "Your residence is quite ingeniously laid out."

Song Heng laughed. "I'm just a poor scholar; I couldn't afford this place. It was bought by a wealthy acquaintance from my hometown. After he failed the imperial examination and returned home, he said it was a pity to leave it unused, so he gifted it to me as a congratulations."