5. suddenly, the world went quiet.

flashback : june 25th, 2010

Hannah couldn't quite figure out if she loved or hated Fridays. Sure, it's great that it's the last day of the week, but it always feels like the longest day ever.

She also finds it's the day she struggles the most to get out of bed. Sure, she wakes up just fine, to her mother dragging the vacuum into her bedroom and shouting, " wake up and turn your fan off before it suffocates you!"

Lovely.

So, she drags her feet all morning, hoping her dearest mother will take pity on her and let her stay home. Fat chance of that.

" What's with the face, huh?" Her father nudges her foot at the breakfast table.

" What do you mean?" She questions, taking another spoonful of her cheerios. Ian raises his eyebrows, amused.

" You've got a face like a slapped ass, Hannah."

" Language." Her mother, Tay, berates her husband, giving him a disapproving look. Hannah pokes her tongue out at him when she looks back down at her magazine.

He scoffs as she finishes up her cereal, standing up and adjusting her Depeche Mode tee.

" Are you coming straight home from school or going to Becca's house?" Her mother questions as she ties her shoelaces, standing to grab her lunch she'd packed for her.

" No, I'm gonna go to Glenn's, actually. He's got a new funko and I wanna see it." Hannah responds as she stands up, grabbing the box off of her mother with a quick, 'thank you'.

" That kid and his damn funko's." Ian scoffs under his breath, and Hannah snickers, zipping up her navy blue backpack and sliding her arms through the straps.

" A kid? Dad, he's 22." Tay tuts at her words, smacking her lightly on the shoulder.

" He's still 15 in my eyes." Hannah grimaces, sliding her iPod into her pocket and plugging her earphones into her ears.

" Have a good day, honeybun." Her mother sends her off, and she smiles back before heading out the front door and making her way to the bus stop.

————

Hannah yawns for the fifth time in 10 minutes as she doodles on her graph paper, listening to the curious chatter of her classmates around her.

" What if it's do with that sickness that's going around?" Hannah best friend, Becca, questions, making Hannah glance at her.

6 times in this lesson, a teacher had come in requesting a student, saying that their parent or relative was there to pick them up.

Hannah scoffs, putting her pen down and stretching her arms above her head, sending Becca a look.

" Be real, Becca. Why would it be cus' of that? There's probably a storm warning or something." Truly, despite her calm exterior, Hannah was feeling a little bit of anxiety.

She'd been hearing a lot about this so-called 'virus' on the news, warnings of it hitting France, Asia, most recently, the US.