6. Good Game

"Strike!" The umpire called after the first throw. Ethan subconsciously smiled at that, If it wasn't for the catcher, the ball just now would have been a ball. From that alone, it was hard to believe that this was a make-shift team or it could be just Ashleigh, who had some prior experience. "Strike!" The umpire called again. The catcher called the first two pitches to outside. Ethan knew nothing about the pitcher, but those first two strikes must have encouraged him greatly. Opening the innings with a good beat was important after all.

"Strike! Batter Out!" That last one was a ball but the batter got anxious and swung the bat. As he watched the match, he realised Ash used a pattern. She would feel the batter out with outside pitches and then switch to pitches that the pitcher was most confident in. The pitcher seemed to have enough options and his control was good which was a plus for the catcher to deal with different batters. Even though Ethan was holding the Private Academy banner, he hoped his team had a good pitcher too. It was only fair.

"That was a good start!" One of his friends said out loud only to get glares from around them and he sat back without a sound. Most people here are from the Royal Academy and every time someone cheered for the other team, they were glowered at and the only reason he was an exception was probably because of his status as a Duke's son and Fifth in line for the throne.

Soon the stadium was filled with cheers as the third batter hit a home run but Ashleigh only waved at her teammates. He didn't know what that sign meant to them but the team was unfazed.

"Ball Four!" Except for their pitcher of course.

"I told you that was a lucky shot, you moron! Now get your game back!" Ashleigh shouted, She didn't look angry just frustrated. It was only the beginning of the game but she was already frustrated at her partner. The pitcher smiled sheepishly and waved back at her.

"Blackwell will lose it soon at this rate." A guy from the Private Academy said and a few people around him laughed. "Camiel, Beware of that Blackwell! If you don't want to be buried in the mound!" A girl shouted and earned a glare from Ashleigh. Though she was wearing a helmet, It was so obvious that it was cute.

"Your wife is pretty popular." One of his friends said and at this point, Ethan was tired of correcting them every time.

"I can understand. I don't mind being glared at by her." Neal nodded seriously. Ethan ignored all the nonsense around him and looked at Ashleigh's play. She was quick at changing gears and cool-headed, not getting swept up by the other team's momentum. Ashleigh was good at sports, her driving skills were superior and she looked and talked like she could kick someone's ass at whim. Ethan felt like everything he discovered about her these past few days were traits that would make her a delinquent. But the cherry on top of all this was that this delinquent was an elite student in an elite institution. She was also well-liked from the looks of it. He couldn't say the same for himself when they were both in similar situations from their status to their surroundings. For some reason, this didn't sit well with him.

"Was she with you when I was on the call a few days ago?" Neal asked out of the blue.

"She was the one who dialled your number. I was driving and she is very strict about traffic rules." Ethan replied making Neal laugh in disbelief. "Did you guys plan this together? Why don't you both just get married then? Why is this any different?"

"She had no choice but to help me because my dear friends are too scared of my dear father." Ethan snapped. That's right, he was still sour about that and a little embarrassed because he had to go through that phone call in front of her. "Why do you think I'm holding this fucking banner?" Ethan added, his frustration evident in his face and voice. A second later he sighed calming himself before he could blow a fuse in front of everyone and embarrass himself further.