Divorce me: Part 1

"...A divorce? Did I do something?"

Y/n bit her lips at her husband Taehyung's tone, which sounded like he was admonishing a disobedient child.

Taehyung, who came home late at night, looked disheveled.

His black hair was slightly messy, casting a shadow on his taut cheeks. His deep indigo eyes looked rather desolate.

As the Marquis of Weatherk, Y/n's husband held an important position in the military, and spent his days very busy.

Y/n was aware of that, too.

Under normal circumstances, she'd have let him rest when he came home so tired-looking.

Nevertheless, before her resolve could waver, she wanted to get a divorce.

"No, you didn't, it's just that I... I fell out of love, and I don't want this tasteless marriage to continue..."

To incite his ire, she spoke as brazenly as possible.

That way, he'd see her as a selfish princess who didn't care about her partner's feelings in the slightest. It'd be nice if that alone would convince him to get a divorce...

...However, he sighed exasperatedly as he ruffled his lustrous black hair.

She didn't expect that.

"At this point in time, you're already a member of the Marquis of Weatherk. Whether you like it or not, a divorce isn't something that can be done out of the blue."

"That's... Of course, that makes sense..."

Y/n was confused and at a loss for words.

She never expected such a sensible explanation.

After all, when he was told to marry her, Taehyung did it without any questions. As such, she expected him to go along with the divorce.

...With me gone, he'd be able to marry his true love.

It stung.

Taehyung would get married-with someone other than Y/n.

Just imagining it, she was about to suffocate in pain.

"Be more specific. What do you not like about me? If you're bored, why don't we go on a trip? If we use the intercontinental railroad, we can travel safely. We can go wherever you want."

"A trip..."

Traveling with Taehyung.

She'd never done that before. In her entire life and marriage, Y/n had only ever gone to the royal capital. Both her parents and husband were overprotective of her. As such, when she heard his offer, she almost faltered.

-but now wasn't the time to be swayed by something like that.

Y/n gathered her courage.

"N-no, that's not what I'm talking about..."

Suddenly, she came up with an idea.

I have to somehow make Taehyung hate me...

Thus, she decided to be the most despicable woman ever.

"I... I'm seeing someone else. You see, I have an affair. Which is why, this loveless marriage... Let's not proceed with it?"

At that moment, her handsome husband's face became steep.

He'd never shown such an expression before, and she almost screamed in fright.

He was glaring resentfully at her.

"...Please tell me who it is. I shall investigate if he's the right person for you."

"W-what are you talking about?"

"It's not uncommon for nobles to have lovers. Unfortunately, a child that comes from an affair can't be an heir to the marquis family. But if that's what it takes for you to stay in this marriage, I'll allow you to have one or two lovers."

Speechless, Y/n's eyes went wide in shock.

Why would Taehyung-a man of integrity-proposed such an immoral proposal? Was she mistaken about him?

His voice, telling her that it was only natural to have lovers, echoed frigidly in her mind.

Did that mean that he'd be having an affair too? Or, perhaps, already have...

The image of Taehyung being surrounded by mistress was simply too much.

"-No!"

Surprised by the loud voice of his usually graceful wife, Taehyung's indigo eyes went wide.

Y/n was as astonished as he was.

"So... it turns out that you have someone you love, and yet are forcing yourself to continue with this fake marriage..."

"...A fake marriage?"

"-I, like I said, I really hate it-! I'll have a talk with His Majesty the King-! I know I'm being selfish and none of this is your fault, hence why we should conclude this as soon as possible-!"

But suddenly, her husband rushed towards her.

"-I'm asking who it is!"

Taehyung stared straight into her eyes, raising his voice as if he was on his limit.

"How dare he deceive someone as innocent as you! He must be the one who told you to say these absurd things! But as a man who wishes for your happiness, I can't accept this divorce!"

Y/n's heart shook violently at his outrageous words.

So why would someone like that object to a divorce so vehemently?

"If you wish, I'll turn a blind eye to your affair. I'll also provide a place where you can have a secret meeting with him without worry. But I won't accept the divorce. Your husband will forever be me!"

Then, he pulled her into his arms and smothered her with kisses, over and over again.

In his strong embrace, Y/n drowned in happiness as she accepted his kisses...

...Even though she'd been prepared to never be embraced by him again.

She'd already lost everything from the moment he died.

From that moment, she was forced to accept that she'd never be enveloped in his strong arms, kissed by his sweet lips, or tickled by his hot breath.

Yes, from that moment, everything slipped through her fingers.

"No... Divorce me, please..."

As tears glittered in her amethyst eyes, Y/n pleaded.

The merciless kisses melted her lips and sealed her moment. As he locked eyes with her, passion burned in his indigo eyes.

"...You're still saying that?"

His low, fleeting voice echoed bitterly.

"...Because, I want us to separate, I don't want to be with you..."

With her as his wife, he'd just be sacrificing himself again.

Therefore, it'd be better for him to spend his time with someone he truly cherished rather than letting him protect her-rather than letting him die.

If only he were still alive...