6

Word Count: 2775

~Venn

I lean back against the cushioned seat, inwardly smirking at the sight before me.

Eldon stares blankly at the menu, occasionally scratching below his ear as he struggles to choose what he wants to eat.

Alvera sips contently at her frozen berry margarita. Every now and again she searches Eldon's face to see if he's ready to order yet.

I slowly rub my jaw in quiet contemplation.

They won't last. I'm not being cruel, just realistic.

Alvera isn't aware that there are forces at play beyond her control. She has a destiny to fulfil, a prophecy to take part in.

Being in a lasting relationship with this stumbling idiot just isn't in the cards for her.

Not that I would tell her that. There are still threads of hope within me, thinking Alvera has altered her own course against the desires of the Moon Goddess.

Well, most of my hope was sufficiently desecrated the moment I saw her step from her old family home.

It took all my self-control not to look up at the sky and curse the Goddess for her cruel ways.

"So, how did you two meet?" I ask, cutting through Eldon's eighth round of examining the menu.

"Honestly?" Alvera's cheeks tint a delicious shade of pink. "He was my boss."

My brows raise. That's not the most scandalous thing Alvera has ever partaken in.

The wall behind this building can attest to that.

Regardless, it's enough to have her gaze hovering over her drink. She twirls the stem, the purple slush nearly tipping over the salted rim.

"We're the same age though, so it's not like it's weird," Eldon adds quickly, proving exactly why such relationships are frowned upon. "Been together ever since, haven't we babe?"

Eldon's hand must be on her thigh, her body swaying as he shakes her.

My jaw tightens.

What Alvera is doing with this man, I'm not sure. I'm sure he is a nice enough guy, but next to Alvera — I mean, come on...

Physically, she hasn't changed. She has cut her hair to her shoulders, but her familiar fringe still brushes against her dark blonde brows. The smattering of freckles over her cheeks and nose have deepened in colour, while her lips remain as inviting as ever.

She is a problem for me. A weakness.

I never thought I could be attracted to a human. They are weak, uninteresting, and have persecuted my kind for years.

And yet...I saw her my first day in town and I knew I was doomed. Not because of what she is going to mean to me in the future, but because she's so irresistible.

I promised when I saw her I wouldn't ruin her, corrupt her. I vowed to keep my distance, to attempt to dissuade the Goddess's plan.

Until that one night — I allowed myself a moment to indulge in something I didn't deserve.

Alvera smiles tentatively as Eldon leans his arm over her shoulder.

I wonder why she seems so guarded now. She carries herself like she knows what she's in for.

The Moon Goddess is a cruel mistress. Alvera couldn't be more my type. She is utter perfection. It only makes having to push her away so much more difficult.