Alyssa Morgan

My best friend, also known as my only friend, is Alyssa Morgan. We didn't become friends in your traditional way. She was stealing food from my house so I decided to to get her to leave my family's things alone. So taking my Beebe I go down stairs one night after hearing her break in.

She sees me and runs for dear life out of the house. I chase after her in pajama pants and a t-shirt my hair flying in my face. She stops in front of the bob-wire fence at the back of the house and starts to go under it. I raise the Beebe and hit her square in the back. She falls to the ground dropping the canned goods. Her curly caramel hair falls around her small frame as she rolls over and looks at me. Her dark skin has mud and tear streaks on it, her bright brown eyes are full of terror and she is breathing heavily.

"Why are you stealing my food?!" I demand from her.

She holds up her hands in innocence, "I didn't steal anything!"

Kicking the cans lying beside her I ask, "Then what are these!?"

"I'm sorry! I was told that this house was one of the abandoned ones! I just wanted some food!" She begins to cry and I notice that she is shaking from the cold. She looks to be made of only skin and bones. She wears a white t-shirt with an old musician's face on the front; a pair of lose fitting jeans; and a government sent out thin green jacket. I sigh and say, "What's your name kid?"

"Alyssa," She stutters. "Alyssa Morgan..." I sigh and ask, "How old are you?"

"Ten," she whispers back. Being thirteen at the time I reach down and pull her off the ground. I pick up the canned food and say, "Come on. You're to skinny and you're going to catch yourself a death of cold if you don't get warm." I being to walk to the house and not hearing foot steps behind me I turn back and ask, "You coming?" She looks up from her feet and runs her fingers around her hands, then nods and begins to follow me.

I introduce myself and she explains that she had run away from one of the orphanages after her parents had been sent to war. You see you must have at least one member of your household in the war, therefore if one parent dies the other one gets sent out, however if you have multiple children the right age for war they must ALSO be sent out. Meaning they take one parent, usually the father, and any children who are of age. Any way she had been taken to one of these horrid buildings and after a week of having to clean the city, cook for the adults who work for the city ('who serve their country by working for the city'), and not being feed she ran away. She had been running for the past month living with other runaways and living off the abandoned houses food. Around midnight she falls asleep in one of the dining room chairs and I pick up her frail body and put her in my sisters' old bedroom. I go back to bed and fall asleep when my head hits the pillow.

The next morning we continue to talk and she goes on my walk with me. After that we just wound up being best friends.

Present Day~

Alyssa and I are walking down the road and I hear a distant noise that I don't recognise. Alyssa turns her head towards the noise and I see a blue and white car swerving towards us, a government vehicle. I grab Alyssa's hand and yank her out of the way of the car and into the woods beyond the road. I hear a gun shot and I shuve Alyssa forward so she falls forward and down. I turn around to  shoot the person back but feel someone grab my waist and pull me down I hear another shot fire off and feel the air right where I had been shoot out of the way of the speeding bluet. I fall to the ground on top of the person who had grabbed me. I roll into a tree and manage to hit my head on a rock. Before the darkness can engulf me I hear the car screech away down the road and hear leaves crunching under heavy foot falls. I see a pale hand brushing away my hair and then nothing.

Alyssa's POV:

It happens so quickly the car Mary pushing me down, gun fire, hearing Mary fall to the ground, seeing her roll her head into a rock and the car rushing away from the scene. I push myself off the ground and start to run to Mary but stop when I see a figure in black sitting over her. It is a boy with jet black hair blue jeans, black jacket and combat boots. He brushes hair out her face and I see her eyes open for a second then they shut. That sight breaks me from my trance and I race over to her. The boy moves away from her and walks calmly deeper into the woods. I fall to my knees in front of her and shake her slightly, "Mary? Mary are you alright?!" she stirs slightly and I hear from the distance, "Her head is going to hurt real bad when she wakes up." I look up and see that the boy is still walking away from me. I whisper to Mary that I will be back in a second and run to the boy he mearly quickens his pace and outdistances me so fast that you would think that he was meant to do that.

I go back to Mary and see that she is sitting up against the tree. I quietly walk to her and ask, "You OK?" she nods and gets up but quickly sits back down and asks, "Who spun the world?!"

I laugh a bit at that and help her up again. We slowly walk back to her house, in the woods we don't want another incident like that again, and I put her to bed. When she is almost asleep she mumbles something and I ask, "What ya' say?"

"I said, that he said I have pretty eyes. Weird right? I have muddy brown eyes how can that be pretty?" I look at her and frown, "One, you do have pretty eyes, two they're green. Not brown." She nods and mumbles, "That's right, Thals has brown eyes." She then falls asleep and doesn't say anything after that. I tuck her all the way in and shake my head. What am I going to do with this girl?