Chapter one

There was fire and smoke everywhere.

My vision blurred.

My chest heaved and throbbed as ash clogged my throat.

My head ached and the world spun before my eyes.

I could hear the soft wails of sirens. But everything felt fuzzy. A dull ache settled into my heart and the world faded to black.

Someone shook me awake. Black spots danced before my eyes. Most of the smoke had cleared away by then, and the street was reduced to ashes. I was lucky. A girl, around my age, crouched over me. "You're awake," She gasped.

"I noticed. Thanks."

"Rude. I literally saved you."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks I guess. Who are you?"

"I was gonna ask you the same thing."

"Robyn."

"Winnie. Short for Winter." She grabs my hand and pulls me up. My chest doesn't feel as tight as before.

"Are you here alone?"

I nod miserably. A few more seconds of awkward silence passed.

"You could come with me."

I didn't know what to say to be honest. "S-sure I guess-" I stuttered.

Dusk had fallen and it was beginning to get cold. Winnie walked ahead of me, leading me away from the town and towards the beach. We squeezed through a little nook in the cliff which later stretched into a large but cosy cave.

A girl who looked about a few years older than me sat on one of the rocks. She had long brown hair which were twisted into tiny braids and she looked like she was about to strangle someone.

"Who's that?" The girl glared at me.

"Chill Thalia, jeez- This is Robyn. Uh I kinda found her half dead-"

"Winnie, we talked about bringing strangers here!"

I officially hated Thalia.

"I know. I'm sorry. But I couldn't leave her there!" Winne mumbled.

"She's not a puppy!

"I know... Where's Pax?"

"Hunting with Jess." sighed Thalia.

Then she turned to me.

"Robyn, do you have any idea how you ended up here?"

"N-no."

Thalia's face turned stoney. "Do you have anywhere else to go?" she said, glaring at me.

"I wish I did."

Thalia rolled her eyes. "You can stay. For a bit."

A loud bark echoed through the cave and a large border collie bounded towards me, he sniffed me cautiously.

"That's Pax," Winnie added as she bent down to pet him. "He won't bite. He looks massive but he's just a big softie on the inside." she teased the dog who was licking her all over her face. I could have sworn I saw Thalia's face soften for a second.

"Hey we're back!" A girl who looked just like Winnie except she was around an inch taller and her hair was dyed electric blue and cropped short.

"Jess, this is Robyn." Jess raised a quizzical eyebrow at her but plastered a warm smile on her face. "Hi."

"Robyn- Jess."

I nodded. "Hey."

                                    ✎⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

IK ITS SHORT BUT I TRIED A NEW WRITING STYLE AND YEA ITS RLLY BAD ;-;

This is actually meant to be my english hw but yk :p