Pixie

Pixie awoke, wondering why she couldn't remember anything.

Had she suffered some sort of head trauma? It was possible. Perhaps her lost memories were masking some unfortunate event. Knowing what it was may help determine what immediate steps she should take. She felt her skull, but there were no sore spots. She tried to instinctively sense if she was in danger but came up with nothing.

She was thinking clearly, and knew she that she possessed knowledge, reason and logic. Her empty memories were a real concern, almost to the point of causing despair. She must use her logic and reason, drawing from her bank of knowledge, to figure out where she was and how to get to a safe place where she could get help.

So what did she know?

She was alone, without any food or shelter, and no idea where to find it. That line of thinking went no further because she was now feeling fear. What if she couldn't find food or shelter? Survival was now going to be her foremost concern, and it was becoming a major one. As the fear grew, it suddenly stopped, and waves of good feelings washed over her. She'd be alright: she'd find help, food and shelter if she just went for a walk. It wouldn't be hard. She shouldn't worry so much: things would work out okay if she would just wait. These good thoughts were illogical given her solitude and lack of memory, but she had them all the same. They seemed to come from outside of her, too, which was puzzling. It was as if someone was telepathically sending them. So someone knew she was here. Why weren't they helping, then? If they could send beautiful thoughts via some advanced mind speak that she had no clue existed, they'd be smart enough to come and get her. So why weren't they? Why abandon her and almost tease her by sending nice thoughts without actually coming to rescue her physically? She started to get angry and frustrated. Then, back came the good thoughts again, replacing the negative ones.

This cycle puzzled her. Her present situation was frustrating her, and then she got good feelings whenever she felt aggrieved at her memory loss and her solitude. The cycle might continue endlessly if she allowed herself to indulge in it. Feeling aggrieved at her situation, calmness and peace, pondering her existence in light of this calmness, and so on. Not only that, she hadn't the first clue where the good feelings were coming from. It was all too hard. She must try another approach. It was time to take a closer look at her surroundings.

She was outside, on some beautiful green grass, in the sunlight, on a mountainside. There were rocky peaks all around her, in soft grey shades against the deep blue sky. A variety of trees grew lower down in the valley, providing an appealing mix of colours. The soft breeze and overall stillness of the scene generated peace when taken together as a whole. Everything smelled nice too. There was the unmistakeable scent of fresh grass and dirt, and some pleasant floral aromas she couldn't name or place.

After having been asleep, she might have expected to wake in a bed, so why she wasn't she in one? The grass, however, was soft and green, and she felt kind of luxurious, laying on it. The softness of her clothes became apparent as they moved with her. Both her pants and her long-sleeved shirt were of a soft, gentle material that hugged her body and stretched easily as she moved around. They had random patterns on them; in violets, blues, silvers and greys. She was also wearing some hiking boots that were so soft and light that she may as well have not been wearing anything at all on her feet.

There was another aspect of her state of mind that she could not explain. She felt free, as if she'd been released from somewhere where her liberty had been suppressed. Resolution of her lost memories might provide some guidance as to where this notion came from. Rather than continue to puzzle this feeling-thought-feeling cycle, she resolved to let it all go and to try to find out more by exploring her immediate area. She stood up. It was time to take action and find a source of help.