2. True Colors

My heart was in pain as I stared at the armed alpha sire, and it hurt even more when I peered over my shoulder to see if Kent had really left. He had. I was now completely alone.

My alpha left me to die...

The alpha with the gun clicked his tongue in disapproval, and when I turned to face him, his expression had changed. He was still angry, but even he felt sorry for me.

"Hope that wasn't your mate or anything," he said.

I'd broken into his home, and our group had tried to steal his baby, and it was he who felt sorry for me...

"Get the fuck out of here," he told me, and lowered his gun.

I let out a relieved breath and quickly hurried out the broken window before he'd change his mind. He had no reason to let me go. There were no laws protecting us looters if we broke into someone's home. That alpha had all the right to kill me right then and there, but he still let me go...

But once I was outside, and tried to get out of the yard, my fear kicked in and my knees gave out. I gasped for air and crawled my way behind a few old trees in the yard, and hid in the shadows behind them. My heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to stop, and the pain spreading on my face... I feared something was broken... It hurt so bad...

Kent... My own alpha... How could he hit me...? And even worse, how could he want to steal someone's baby? He knew what those people who bought stolen kids did to them...! Especially if they were omegas... They'd be sold as prostitutes or broodmares to illegal baby factories... They'd be forcefully impregnated as soon as they were old enough to carry a child... They'd be forced to keep making babies until their bodies gave out...

And Kent was fine with that...

I wanted to throw up...

I heard firing coming from inside the tiny yellow house. I looked up to see the same guys who were after the baby returning to the house with guns in hands. They were still trying to get the child! And the baby's sire was alone against all of them...

The guys shot in through the windows, and a moment later, they climbed in. The house was silent, so I feared they'd finally killed the sire... I'd thought I couldn't feel any worse, but if that man was dead... All he did was try to protect his family...

If we'd killed him...

I was too scared to move, but I heard more gunshots, an agonizing yelp, then more yelling and shouting. I felt so incredibly sick as I listened to it. I felt sick because we were not killers... We were simple thieves trying to steal enough to survive! We were not murderers or kidnappers...! That was what True Order terrorists did, so how could Kent do this to us, to his own clan? How could he get us into a gig like this? He'd just made our lives so much worse in this city!

My omega was still crying inside me. It was heartbroken because of what Kent did... How he'd betrayed us... It couldn't believe our alpha had hurt us. It couldn't believe our alpha didn't do anything to protect the crying child... And they'd left us to die... They'd escaped instead of protecting us...

Silence fell in the tiny yellow house again. And then...

"Your buddies are dead!" the baby's sire yelled loudly inside the building. He was enraged... "And you're next if you don't fuck off!"

Kent's new friends hurried out of the building, completely defeated and bleeding. I breathed out in relief as I watched them make a run for it, crying and in panic. The sire won. His baby was safe. Now that was a good alpha... He'd protected his loved ones like alphas should.