~~In The Beginning, There Was Me!~~

"As bonds can be forged amidst the chaos of duty, A captain’s quest for Earth's freedom becomes a desperate race against time. In this journey, the line between sacrifice and salvation fades into the void."

========================================================================

The door to my room shutters open, revealing the creeping dawn light infiltrating my small, humble abode. I could have sworn I had closed it before retiring for the night.

"...Captain?"

There it is again. That soft, warm, yet hauntingly familiar voice, teasing my ears once more. Calling out to me. Its presence alone stirs me from my peaceful slumber, tempting me to greet the intruder with a smile. But alas, that luxury is denied to me.

"Oh, Caaaaaptain~"

I felt the tip of my nose being pressed and scrunched repetitively by my waker, who emitted the most adorable giggles.

"Hehe. Captain, I know you're awake, stop playing around!" my attacker claimed between giggles. Yet, I couldn't respond. Why would I? I was still sleeping.

Instead, I allowed my arm to drift from the warmth of my blanket and slowly raised it in the air. With my eyes still closed, I blindly, yet gracefully, let it fall onto my supposed waker.

“Agh, Hey!” Bullseye.

"Where's the snooze button?" I groggily announced, purposefully roughing up her hair in an attempt to find the so-called ‘snooze’ button.

"Noooo, I just brushed my hair!" The attacker tried to pull away from my arm but was too caught up in the moment to resist. "Captaaaain, please stop!"

Ignoring her feeble pleas, I let my free arm drift elsewhere. Her soft, yet joyous laughter filled the room as I continued my snoozing conquest.

"Nope, that's not it," I muttered, lowering my arm and feeling something squishy and round. "Hmm, maybe it's this one?"

"Hahaha- Ow! Captain, That's my cheek you're grabbing!"

"...Ohhh, so that's your cheek," I remarked with feigned innocence.

"Quit it!"

The light laughter faded into short, small whimpers from my waker, a sound I didn't quite appreciate as she was actually trying pull away this time. I always wondered as to why some of these Nikke’s were rather sensitive to light touches out of their own combat capabilities. Perhaps it was because of my superior rank?

"...Sorry." I halted my playful assault and finally lifted open my eyes to ensure my ‘attacker’ was unharmed.

Even in the dim light, her white clothing made her actions clear. I had to stifle a laugh on the spot. I'd truly messed up her hair; it was practically hiding her eyes!

She was now rubbing her puffed, slightly red cheek with a mix of sadness and annoyance. A pout adorned her features, yet it only added to her undeniable adorableness. It was another moment I'd treasure for years to come.