,:No Love:. 4

Lucy’s point of view:

 By now, I was used to all of the stares I received when I entered the school building. Especially the ones I received from Izzy and Jeremy. I always kept my head down, and drowned everyone out with my headphones.

 I was used to being friendless and alone, as well. After all, No one cared about me. That is what I thought until yesterday, anyway, when Jeremy saved me from killing myself... again. He had actually bothered to come and rescue me, and keep me alive. Otherwise, I would be dead right now.

 There is no purpose for my life. At least that’s what I think. But God keeps me alive every day, so he sent me here for a reason. What the reason was, I wanted to know what. But something’s are better left a mystery. As I trudged through the school hallways, I felt something brush my arm. I looked up to see Izzy walking beside me, giving me a cold stare. “I thought you were dead” she said coldly. I looked away.

 “Want me to be?” I asked her. She scoffed. “Everyone does” she said to me. I shook my head. “Not everyone” I said matter of factly. She laughed. “Oh yeah? Who?” she asked me. I hesitated. I didn’t know if I should tell her or not. She laughed again. “Liar” she said, before stalking off. Before I could help it, I said, “Jeremy”.

 She turned around, and gave me a stone cold look. She then turned around and began walking toward me. She then shoved me into a locker, causing people to stare. She brought her lips up to my ear. “Listen well” she slithered. “Jeremy wants nothing to do with you. He hates you as much as everyone else, so stay away from him” she said, before walking away. People were now staring at me. “What the hell are you all looking at?” I asked them. That got everyone to turn around and go back to whatever they were doing before.

 I then walked over to my locker, when I heard someone talk to me. “Um, hi” a nervous voice said. I looked over my shoulder to see a girl standing there, giving me a small smile. “What do you want?” I asked her rudely. She flinched, and I sighed. “Sorry” I said, and turned my head back to my locker. She kept talking. “My name is Carmen” she went on. I ignored her. She cleared her throat. “I’m new here” she said.

 I was beginning to get annoyed. “What do you want from me?” I asked her. She smiled nervously. “I was wondering if you could tell me where Jeremy Webber’s locker is” she said shyly. I chuckled. “Back off, he has a girlfriend” I told her darkly. She laughed. “No no, it’s not that” she said. “I’m his cousin, Carmen”.

 I looked up. Carmen Webber... there was something familiar about that name. I turned to her. “Have you ever been here before?” I asked her. She raised an eyebrow. “I used to visit here when I was younger... why?” she asked me. My eyes widened. Carmen Webber! Memories suddenly flooded back to me from when I was a little girl.

 I, Jeremy and his cousin Carmen would always hang out whenever she was visiting. She was someone I actually considered... a friend. I smiled. “Do you know who I am?” I asked hopefully. She looked at me for a moment, searching my face, before shaking her head. “I don’t think so” she said. My smile faded. I turned away from her, and said “362”.

 “Huh?” she asked. I raised my voice. “362, Jeremy’s locker number. Now leave me alone!” I said, a little too loudly. People turned and stared at me and Carmen, who was now looking hurt. “O-Okay” she said. “Bye” she said again, and practically ran off. I put my head down as the memories came back.

 Flashback:

 I opened the front door of my house to see my best friend, Jeremy, standing there with a strange girl. “Hey Lucy!” he said, giving me a hug. I looked at the girl, who looked to be about twelve years old. My age. “This is my cousin, Carmen” he said to me, pulling back. I looked her up and down.

 “Hey” she said to me. I smiled a little bit. “Hello” I said to her. Jeremy’s amazing smile read that he was happy. “Lucy!” I heard the drunken voice of my father shout. I flinched. I looked at them both. “I’ll be right back, meet me at the lake” I said and closed the door before they could answer. “Yes, daddy?” I asked. He barrelled out of the living room and toward me. “Who the hell was at the door?” he asked me. I shivered. “Jeremy” I answered him.

 He chuckled. “What the hell is he doing here all the time?” he asked me, before his eyes widened. His voice was gruff. “Are you doing something you shouldn’t be doing?” he asked angrily. It took me a moment to understand what he was saying. I shook my head violently. “No!” I said. He shouted. “Liar!” he said, and then called out to my mother. “Lucy’s off having sex with some boy!” he shouted to her. “No I’m not!” I shouted back at him. He stared at me. “Are you talking back to me?” he yelled, while my mother appeared. “Yes I am! I am not doing anything with Jeremy!” I said sternly. His fists came flying at me, but I dodged them and managed to run out of the house, shouting following me.

 As my footsteps pounded against the earth, I heard his pounding behind me. I kept running for the lake, because I knew Jeremy would be there. When I made it to the cliff, I began to run down the side. I could see Jeremy running toward me, Carmen following him. Before I knew it, I was in Jeremy’s arms, and I was soaking his shirt with my tears. I could feel his fingers playing with my hair. “Its okay, Lucy. I’m here” he said. I kept sobbing into his shirt, while Carmen was pulling my hair out of my face. I pulled out of Jeremy’s arms and looked at Carmen. She tried to smile.

 She pulled a tissue from her sweater pocket and gave it to me. “Here, you could use this” she said. I nodded, taking it from her. “Thank you” I said to her. She smiled. “We could hear yelling from all the way over here” she said to me, and her smile faded. She then awkwardly hugged me, like a friend. She must have been surprised when I wrapped my arms around her as well. I could feel Jeremy wrap his arms around both of us as well.

 “We’ll all be friends forever” he said, and for the rest of the day, we all laughed and played in the water.

 End of flashback:

 I didn’t move when I heard the warning bell go off, or the late one. Instead, I wandered the halls of the school, and thought about life when I was a little girl, when I could call someone my friend.

 Carmen’s point of view:

 Lucy Black. The name just popped into my head while I was walking off to find my cousin Jeremy. I wanted to see her so badly. She was my best friend, so nice and pretty, with her long curly black hair. I counted the locker numbers as I went along, until I heard someone call my name. I looked up to see Jeremy walking over to me, arms wide. I happily hugged him. “It’s so good to see you” I said to him, smiling up at him. He smiled back. “Same to you. Look how much you’ve grown” he said. I laughed. “I’m not a kid, you know. Of course I’ve grown” I said. I then looked around. “Where’s Lucy? I want to see my old best friend” I said excitedly. Jeremy stopped laughing, and his face grew sad. “What’s wrong?” I asked him. He shook him head. “Lucy... Lucy and me are not friends anymore, and we never will be” Jeremy said to me. My eyes widened. “What?” I asked him. He sighed. “She’s not the same Lucy we used to know” he said.

 I shook my head.  “What does she look like now?” I asked him. He shrugged. “Short black hair with white-ish streaks in it, tall, lonely, and angry all the time” he said. I then immediately remembered the girl who I talked to earlier. Oh my god, was that Lucy?

 A bell then sounded off, and I looked at Jeremy. “Come on, let’s get to class, I want you to meet my friends. After all, you no technically live here” he said, putting his arm around me as we walked. As we did, we passed the girl-Lucy. Jeremy and I both stared at her for a moment. “That’s her, huh?” I asked him. He murmured a ‘yes’. I shook my head and kept walking. “I missed you” I said to him. I then turned around, looking at Lucy. “I missed her the most, though”. I then turned around, and kept walking off to class with Jeremy. I didn't see Lucy again until lunchtime.