1. Red Flags

Welcome to my little book! I hope you enjoy your stay here <3

First time reader check-in->

Re-reader check-in ->

Tag a friend who needs to read this ->

**********

-Joni-

"Listen up! We got a big gig tomorrow night!"

I perked up in my little tent and crawled out to see our leader, Kent, walking through our encampment in an abandoned parking garage with an excited expression on his face. Eager to hear more, I sat on my knees just outside my portable home to wait for the others to gather around.

"It's a huge one," Kent continued, pacing a little. "We're joining forces with three other clans for this because it's so big!"

I sat back as my interest and excitement already vanished, and worry took their place. I could already see the red flags, but I hoped I was wrong.

"Just wait until you hear this. It was Grant who came up with the plan. We're going to live so comfortably for a long time after this!"

I peered around and saw both excited and doubtful expressions all around me. Then I spotted my best friend, Payton, who was already making his way to me from his tent. He raised his eyebrows at me when our eyes met. I let out a small sigh to let him know I didn't like the sound of this plan at all. He rolled his eyes, agreeing with me, and came to sit down next to me on the concrete floor.

"We're going to be so fucked..." he murmured.

"I know, right..." I mumbled back.

Big gigs meant big headlines, and our little clan was hated enough as it was. But I still held my hopes up. Maybe this was actually a good plan. Money had been so tight lately we could barely eat, after all.

"Everyone here? Good! Listen up!" Kent spoke and stopped in the middle of our tents and slowly turned around to see us all. "You know the mafia is weak right now, right?"

"Oh, no..." both Payton and I breathed out in disappointment.

"So! Tomorrow! We're raiding The Clover Hill Village!" Kent declared, his arms spread like he expected loud applause.

He didn't really get any.

"The Clover Hill Village?" asked Derek, one of Kent's best friends who usually was up for anything our leader came up with.

"Yeah," Kent said, disappointed with us because we didn't share his enthusiasm. "Come on! That neighborhood has some serious money!"

"That neighborhood is mafia's territory! It's their leader's home!" Derek argued back.

"It was their leader's home! Michael Mercer is gone! The terrorists took him out!" Kent said angrily. "Besides, the mafia is just a bunch of old has-beens. Their era is over. But we are growing stronger. If we raid Clover Hill, we'll show everyone just how strong our looter clans have become!"

Everyone peered at Derek, who gritted his teeth together and said nothing. Kent walked to him and kneeled in front of him.

"Maybe it's our time to control this territory. The mafia's glory days are long gone, and now their leader is half dead. Even True Order terrorists have noticed how weak they have become. That's why they tried to kill him and almost succeeded in it," Kent spoke, then turned to us. "You all know I'm right, right?"