Chapter 24

Levi catches up beside me and smiles brightly, his eyes sparkling with anticipation. "Riniera, I was wondering if you had any plans tonight?" He asks, his voice tinged with eagerness.

"Yes, I intend on sleeping, and preferably all night," I reply curtly as I continue down the stairs, feeling his fingers gently wrapping around mine. Levi's touch stops me in my tracks. I turn and face him, meeting his gaze, and my eyebrows raise in curiosity.

"No, I mean before you plan on sleeping?" he asks, his expression softening with sincerity.

"I'm probably going to lock myself in my room as I do most nights," I tell him, my tone matter-of-fact.

"Well, tonight, I was hoping we could hang out in the courtyard, under the stars and—"

"Under the stars? Are you asking me on a date, Levi?" I ask, a hint of teasing in my voice, searching for confirmation.

"I would like to. I mean, unless you are interested in someone else?" Levi questions, his eyes reflecting hope and uncertainty.

"I'm not into anyone, Levi, and I don't think that would be a good idea," I reply with a touch of regret.

"And why is that?" he asks, his voice conveying defensiveness and hurt.

"Because, Levi. Any one of us could die in the trials. Do you want to get close to someone now only for them to be dead in a few weeks from now?" I argue.

Levi's shoulders drop, and a flicker of disappointment flashes across his face. "I see your point, but could we perhaps hang out anyway? Even as friends," he pleads, his eyes searching mine for understanding.

"Since when did tolerating you mean you were my friend?" I smirk, teasing him gently, and Levi playfully bumps my shoulder with his, before placing my hand on his arm and leading the way to the grand hall.

I struggle to stifle a giggle as Levi leans closer to my ear and whispers a light-hearted joke as we enter the hall. My laugh echoes softly, and Torin begrudgingly walks past us, his jaw clenches as he stands in line facing Commanding General Zerin, who is second in charge of the academy. General Liora and Colonel Kyros stand beside her. We can hear dragons screeching outside as they fly about the skies, their cries echoing through the air. I stand beside Torin, with Levi by my side, followed closely by Lacy.

Our Wing Leaders call our names to ensure we are all present, and North Commander Veros rolls his eyes at my outfit of choice. I lean forward and notice most of the women wear dresses; the few that don't are still dolled up with red lips, rouge cheeks, fancy hairstyles, and tunics with hand-sewn flowers decorating the hems. I glance down and notice a faded area on my tunic and shrug before flicking a rogue strand of hair off my face.

Commanding General Zerin steps forward, her smile warm and welcoming. "Ashbane informs me the King has arrived and will be entering the academy any moment," she says, her voice echoing with authority and excitement.

The doors to the academy are pushed open, and High Chancellor Keltez enters the grand hall with King Auden beside him, casually discussing the weather as the King's Advisor follows them. If he were any closer, they would be bumping into each other. The king wears a red cape with thick gold embroidery and a golden crown of jewels atop his head. His hair is short and gray, matching his silver and gray short beard and mustache. He appears a little older than my father, Vorath.

Jarek Everheart is wearing his dragon flight armor of black with gold pauldrons. Levi is a spitting image of him, except you can tell his father is at least thirty years older than him.

High Chancellor Keltez stands before us. "King Auden, I must introduce you to your initiates of the Dragon Academy," he says.

"Hmm, yes," King Auden says, starting at the far end of the line, and looks over each initiate individually. The initiates bow or curtsy as he greets them.