Chapter 2

I push through the ever-growing crowd, ignoring the sharp jabs of people's elbows I felt as I slipped through toward the front. Everyone was gathering–packed like sardines–toward the large outdoor stage, desperately wanting to see what was happening. Everyone wanted a front seat to this. On the way over here an announcement over the PA system was made, telling everyone to head for the stage. My eyes land on Richard, Kara's dad–and leader of our compound. He stepped up to the podium, clearing his throat and tapping the microphone with his pointer finger.

"Hello, everyone," he greets. "I am here to inform you all that the council and I have come to a decision. That decision is that we all think it's best if we send a group out to the headquarters. We need a group of strong-minded people to go and bring back the things and information we need. If I call your name, head to the main office."

The crowd erupted in whispers and murmurs, everything asking and guessing what exactly this meant. Even if we go through this once a year, people still seem to overreact. I turned to Kara, who looked equally as confused as the rest of us. But that didn't stop everyone around her from ambushing her with questions as if she knew what was happening, trying to get answers and a look into what went on behind the closed doors of our government. Megan was the first one to spit question after question at our friend. What is this? Who was being sent? Why? The usual questions that are asked when this happens. And a thousand more that Kara couldn't answer. She stutters out 'I don't know' repeatedly, shrugging her shoulders as she sinks into herself.

As names were being called out the crowd began to shift, gravitating toward the person who was trying to get out.

"Megan McMillian." Richard's voice made the three of us stop and look up at the stage. Meg began to sink back into the sea of people, fear flooding her eyes as she headed for the main office.

"Brandi Hawthorne," Richard called my name.

My eyes snapped to the stage as I froze. Me? Why? 

Kara nudges my arm, bringing me back to reality as I stumble a little. My thoughts raced faster than I could process any of them as I started weaving my way back through the crowd with Kara close behind me.

***

I walk into the old building with Kara trailing behind me. A guard silently gestures to the first door on the right. It was cracked open and hushed voices could be heard floating out of the room. I shove open the door and step inside. I looked around, seeing who had been summoned. Matthew Bennet sat on the end of a long, wooden table, to his right sat his sister, Ashley. I didn't personally know either, but we'd engaged in polite conversation once or twice.

Then there was Megan, beside her sat an older man, John, Dad's friend. At the opposite end of the table sat Clay and his brother, Tyler. On Tyler's right sat a boy who looked to be around my age. His name was Charlie, I think. I met him a few times. I took a seat, keeping my eyes on the dull gray and fading walls or the window covered by blinds. 

Why were the two new Outsiders here? My eyes flit between everyone again and realize they were all staring at Kara, expecting answers. She sat quietly, meeting each person's eyes as if she were telling them she was just as clueless as the rest of us.

"I'm in the dark like the rest of you," Kara said. "Stop looking at me like that. I'm not a messenger pigeon."

"Yeah, but you've got to know something." Matthew crosses his arms over his chest. "Doesn't daddy tell his princess what's going on, or anything at all?"

Kara narrows her eyes at him. "He doesn't tell me anything. If I know something it's because I was digging around something I wasn't supposed to."

Matthew was about to reply when the door opened, grabbing everyone's attention. Richard walks into the room, taking a seat at the head of the table. He folds his hands in front of himself as two guards stop on either side of his chair. He clears his throat.