Chapter 8 - Summer of 2020

The days marched away, summer vacation was almost over. It was a Saturday and the road was choked with cars. Amir and Maryam will leave tomorrow, as the academic year starts next Monday.

Abdul Wahhab drove the children to Broadway to buy stationery for the new school year. Maryam conversed about her school life with Parveen, who found it hard to focus. She felt uncharacteristically irritated by Maryam's excitement.

The car sped through Container Road and the beautiful backwaters unfolded around them. Chinese nets were dipped into the serene waters reflecting the clear blue sky. Cormorants dried their wings on the coconut tree stumps after a swim. She usually enjoyed the ride through this road but today a sombre mood had enveloped her.

They parked the car and walked through the crowded Broadway streets to the leather goods shop. The children perused through the goods for schoolbags and other accessories.

Amir spotted an expensive, exported bag and canvassed Uncle Wahhab to buy it for him. His uncle heard him out, checking the bag for himself. Finally, he playfully put a hand over his nephew's shoulders and handed over the bag to the salesman with a nod. Maryam and Parveen pouted at Amir in envy of being the family favourite. Amir made a cocky face in return. Amir will be inheriting the family name as he was the only boy child in the Kadavil family. So everyone gave him special treatment.

Parveen felt indignant as well. Her father never indulged her the same way, nor showed her physical affection the way he did with Amir. He used to be different when she was younger, but since she became a teenager, her father has become distant.

After they bought school bags and essential accessories, they moved to the stationary shop. They had brought a list of items they needed to buy and proceeded to tick off each item as they found it in the store. While going through the stationary shop she felt like she should buy a gift for Sam. He was always so nice to her. Without him, the summer vacation would have been a failure. Once Amir and Maryam go back, she will not be allowed to play with him anymore, so this is her last chance. Something tugged at Parveen's heart. She felt like crying. She blinked away the tears.

There were a lot of science books in Sam's house, so he must be studious. She bought a cute toffee-shaped highlighter for him. Pretty and functional! It did not raise any suspicions either. Her father was not easily convinced since it was a bit expensive, but he agreed after some back and forth.

The siblings packed their bags to go home that night. The next day, Sam gave them lots of time to play video games together. Sam and Parveen came downstairs after a while to feed the koi fish. As Parveen followed him to the kitchen to get the pellets, Sam noticed that she had brought a purse with her.

When he took out the container with the fish pellets and turned to face Parveen, he saw that she was gripping something pink and looking at him nervously.

"What is it?" he inquired.

"I wanted to give you a thank you gift! For everything you did for us over the vacation!" she raised the item to him. It was toffee-shaped and pink. It was so girly that he couldn't possibly use it, whatever it was. He started chuckling. She is so simple-minded, he thought.

Parveen's smile faded and she lowered her hand. Her face became downcast.

"I am sorry but, it is so girly!" he said laughing at her.

He stopped when he noticed fat tears dripping from her eyes. He instinctively looked around bewildered, he did not know what to do. He kept the food pellets on the counter and went closer to her.

"Hey! I was just joking! Don't cry" He bent his knees to look at her face. He felt like patting her but his fingers hovered just over her in an awkward yet polite gesture to console her.