Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter One

Chapter One

Kyle leans against the grey lockers with an easy smile and his books tucked under his left arm. Nothing appears to have changed despite what almost happened a few days ago. Thankfully, I had work placement on Thursday and my Friday classes are different from Kyle's, but I can't avoid my best friend forever, and I don't want anything to change between us.

"Hey, Ava baby." He cheekily winks.

"Hi, Kyle." I smile.

I can't shake the awkward feeling and I don't know how to act around him.

"Are you okay, Ava? Do you want to head out of lunch and chat?"

"I have lunch, plus I have some homework to catch up on."

"Are you sure some fried chicken or a burger couldn't tempt you?" He chuckles.

The prospect of food is always tempting but I shake my head. I haven't figured out what to say about the other night and I need more time.

"Nah, I'll be fine."

"Absolutely sure? You look upset and food always makes you happy." He smiles.

"Work placement is just long and exhausting, even if it's one day." I sigh.

Kyle inches closer which gets my heart racing. His intense gaze makes me squirm, but as I move back, he cups my cheeks and squeezes them.

"Smile, kid." He flicks my nose with the end of his finger.

I swat his hand away as pain shoots through my nose.

"What was that for?"

"I wanted you to smile, but," he grits his teeth. "You don't look sad anymore."

"I should flick your nose back so you can feel how much it hurt."

"Oh, Ava." He cheekily rolls his eyes.

"If you're not going to apologise, then I'll be going to do that homework."

"I'm sorry, Ava."

"Okay, you're forgiven."

"Before you go, I have something to tell you."

Panic sets in.

"I should really go."

"Blake is asking around for you. I heard him asking somebody on my way here."

"For me?" I gasp.

"Be careful, okay?"

"Don't worry about me, I'm just going to do my homework and eat lunch. I need a minute to myself."

"Okay, I'll see you later."

Kyle raises his arms for a hug and it takes me a minute to step into his warm embrace. He squeezes me a little tighter than normal, then wanders off. I grab my lunch from the locker and head for the serenity of the oval. There's an empty picnic bench, so I score a whole table to myself.

Before Logan's accident, I was afraid to be alone. When the news broke of Logan's passing, I couldn't take a step without someone telling me how amazing he was or how tragic his death was. Now I enjoy being alone.

I open the container and take a bite of my sandwich, by the third bite, my mind is focused on Blake and why he'd be asking for me. We're not in the same friend group but we share a couple of classes together.

Once I finish eating, I fold my arms and rest my head on them. I enjoy the sun radiating on my back. With this crook weather, it's nice to soak up some sun before it goes.