Chapter 1: A harmless prank and trouble in the cafeteria

"She didn't even bat an eye at me! I'm telling ya right now, Rory." Nikolas was pacing around my room in frustration, his eyes roaming around wildly, and his fingers tugging on his brown hair.

"Maybe she didn't see you?" I offered my distressed best friend.

"No. She didn't want to see me." He argued back.

Today, Nikolas had attempted to impress the new girl at Tommen. Maeve Moore. She had long legs, red hair, and carried a huge pair of boobs on her. Nikolas had attempted to impress her during HPE today, when they had to do rugby. It was no use, he told me. Maeve was too busy making conversation with another boy.

She batted her eyelashes at Declan so much, I thought she'd fucking fly away. Nikolas had said a couple minutes ago, when he came storming into my room, sweaty from practise.

Much like his father, Gibise, Nikolas had taken up rugby since he was only little, and was only going further with his experience.

Nikolas had never really shown true attraction to girls at Tommen, until Maeve showed up, and all he did was speak about her. In between classes, during break, and now he was in my room! But as his best friend, I was obligated to listen to his babbling, even if he interrupted the best part of my book.

"Who cares she didn't notice you? Try again tomorrow." I offered Nik, who now started rearranging my books around on my shelf. "Hey, don't do that! They're in the order I like them."

He whined. "I'm a man in despair, Aurora! Give me a break." He flopped onto my bed, to which I swatted him away.

"Be a man in despair without being annoying." My eyes narrowed at Nik. He shot daggers back at me, before retreating to his whiny and sad mood.

"Rory, she's so fucking gorgeous. Her hair smelt like cookies, and her smile put me under a hypnosis. Guys are already showing her attention, I can't just go up and talk to her!"

Yes, he could, actually. It wouldn't kill him to strike up a conversation with her. I mean, atleast she'd know who he was.

"If I compliment her, it'll go in through one ear and out the other. I have to do something different." He sighed for what felt like the millionth time, and I comforted him again.

"Keep on trying. She'll come around."

A knock came on my door, and I told the person to come in. My Da entered my room with my little sister, Catriona, attached to his hip like a little monkey. "What's wrong with him?" He pointed to the huge, 6"3 sulking boy, splattered on the floor like a starfish.

"What's not wrong with him?" I joked, which earned a laugh from my Da.

"Well, dinner's ready, baby." He pushed my door fully open, and gently kicked Nik.

Nik looked up at my Da, and then grabbed the closest pillow and tossed it over to him. With quick reflexes, he catched it with his only free hand, and tossed it back at Nikolas.

"No fair, Johnny. The only reason you caught it was because you've got good reflexes from rugby."

"Where's your reflexes? Don't you play rugby, lad?" He teased, shaking his head and raising his eyebrow, waiting for Nik's response that I anticipated.

Biting my lip to prevent me from laughing, I shook my head. Nikolas stood up fully, and walked closer to my Da. "I'm a man in despair. Give me a break."

My Da's face was representing amusement and a smirk was evident on his face.

"Don't fall for it, Da. He said the same thing to me." I shuffled past the three of them, because I could smell my Ma's famous spaghetti coming from downstairs, and it smelt absolutely delicious.