Charging

She was gone, and it was better that way

Better for her.

It wasn't all too hard to get her to hate me again, not when her family was involved.

Of course, it wasn't all too hard to get me to hate myself, either, but that was only a side effect of what I'd done. 

She was gone, though, and from the look she'd given Hart when telling him to get the fuck out, it looked like she was done with the both of us, for good. 

And it was better that way.

She was better off far, far away from me and the damage I would've inevitably caused her in the end. 

Better to rip off the bandage now than let it all fester and grow until it became something unmanageable. 

In all truth, I hadn't even considered my father when pursuing Gracie.  

He was like an annoying fucking gnat who wouldn't get out of my ear, so he didn't matter, not when he told me to get close to her and not when he told me to stay away from her, but she didn't need to know that.

She needed to know that I was nothing but a piece of shit that was only using her for his own gain. 

She needed to know that I was no good for her, that I didn't care about her, that she meant nothing to me. 

Maybe then my father would leave her alone and get her out of his mind. 

Maybe then she'd forget about me and then my drama wouldn't follow her around everywhere she went. 

She didn't deserve it, really.  Not the hands she'd been dealt in life, surely, but she'd taken them all in full stride. 

I'd meant to slowly break it off with her after my father's final straw: find the information her mother stole, or he'd bring her father in and say that he'd stolen it. 

My father was so sure he had it, desperate for his little theory to pan out, but from what I'd glimpsed of their family dynamic, even if he did have it, he wouldn't have told his daughter about it. 

Or he'd sold the information and flushed the money from his ex-wife's accounts and used it to drink away his life instead of taking care of his daughter. 

Whatever had happened to the data Gracie's mother had stolen, along with the money, it was obvious it was gone and that she had no idea about any of it in the first place. 

All that was left to do was to wait my father out, and make good on his promise. 

Maybe that would mean needling Gracie for a little longer just to make it seem like I was still complying with what he wanted, but in the end, I knew it was over. 

The way she'd looked at me...

I deserved it, of course I did. 

She thought I'd betrayed her, and in a way I had.