8. Restlessness.

Just because he had been put on a main task definitely did NOT mean that he had more free time.

Oh no.

The amount of small tasks that he had been given by all of his coworkers was starting to get into double figures.

This was ridiculous!

Even by people lower in status than him, small situations would somehow end up going to him, it wasn't even his line of work!

The other day, something about replacing a pipe in the main common room came to his desk, surely that would be a plumbers job yes? No! Obviously not, due to the fact he ended up authorizing and fixing it himself as no one else was showing any interest in paying attention to the issue.

He always wondered what would happen if he suddenly started declining everybody's minor requests, would anything actually get done?

Hm, tempting, but probably not...

Wriothesley took a sip of his coffee as he sat down at his desk, checking any emails he had received over the time he had been away from his laptop, and surprisingly... he only had one?

That's extremely odd, usually he'd have at least 15.

He clicked on the email.

Anonymous sender.

It was starting to get weird.

Greetings, Your Grace.

I am writing to inform you that you are being put under surveillance for the next 2 weeks. This is simply to make sure you are taking your current assignment seriously, and unlike past instances, your daughter will not be included in the surveillance. Please promptly delete this email after you have read its contents.

Kind regards.

As per usual, there was no name signed at the end, you couldn't even reply to these emails. In fact, he never got them regularly, he'd only ever received them twice for previous assignments that were way more important than his current one.

Wriothesley did as asked and deleted the email permanently.

Hm.

Now what.

He didn't have any emails, any tasks or paperwork he would usually busy himself with was finished with. Sigewinne was at school.

For the first time in a long time, Wriothesley had nothing to do.

He was bored.

Actually, the thought came to him that he could use this opportunity to catch up on some sleep. Walking over to the smaller lounger couch in his office, loosening his tie slightly as he laid down on his stomach, placing a blanket unevenly on himself.

Wriothesley was more tired than he anticipated, asleep in a matter of minutes.

A few hours passed, and it seemed like he was finally going to be able to get some rest.

However it wasn't peaceful for long, it started off with slight flinching and moving about.

To then tossing and turning, with ice cold sweat.

Then worsening to heavy breathing and murdering that couldn't be deciphered at all, but clearly had some panicked meaning to them.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

There was blood.

But it wasn't his blood.

There were screams.

But it wasn't his voice.

There was pain.

But he wasn't the victim.

The world spin vigorously, as Wriothesley's unshaken hand gently placed the gun back on the table where he got it from. Muffled and distorted clapping could be heard around him as he gave thankful nods to the spectators. Saying courteous "Thank you" and "Have a good night" to anyone that complimented his performance.

He meant none of it. In fact, if he could, he'd promptly shoot everyone that believed what he had just done was good or entertaining. Sick, sick people.

Suddenly there was a commotion in the crowd, a single person creating a circle around the centre of the hall. Wriothesley was confused, turning around to the person who seemed crazy to everyone else in the room.

It took him a minute to realize, but she was shouting at him.

Pointing and screaming at Wriothesley.

"YOU MONSTER! DEVIL! YOU'RE THE DEVIL. I HOPE YOU LIVE OUT THE REST OF YOUR DAYS IN REGRET AND FEAR OF YOU'RE OWN ACTIONS, AND I HOPE YOU...."

She had obviously said a few more insults and threats before security came and removed her, but Wriothesley's brain blocked any other words she said.

He couldn't care less, he really, physically couldn't. That's what he told himself.

Yet for some reason, he then couldn't move. He just stood there in a daze, staring at the woman battling the two guards either side of her. The people around him went and comforted him, saying useless reasurrances like..

"It's not your fault"

"Don't listen to her, she's crazy"

"She doesn't know what she's saying"

"We're so proud of you"

"What you did was wonderful"

On and on and on, Wriothesley couldn't take it. He less than politely excused himself and traveled up the flight of stairs to his room, locking the door behind him and opening the window.

He needed fresh air. Sighing as the cold breeze hit his face, thinking he had found relief of the situation.

Before he heard the lock click...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Dad? Dad! Are you okay!?" Sigewinne ended up shaking him the best she could, panicked.

Wriothesley's eyes slowly opened.. "Winne? What are you doing here.. You're supposed to be at school..." He groaned.

"You're awake! Finally! You scared me to death.." She jumped on him, hugging her father tightly.

"Woah woah, are you okay? What happened?" He asked.

"We should be asking if you're okay." Came a feminine voice from the door.

"Clorinde? What are you doing here-" Wriothesley started.

"I got a call from Sigewinnes school saying that you hadn't arrived to pick her up, so I got her and took her here. When we came back and saw the door to your office open and you weren't anywhere else, we came inside. Only to find you asleep, and seemingly in pain." Clorinde answered, cutting him off.

"Oh, I see.."

"Don't do that again!" Sigewinne demanded, trying to conceal the tears in her eyes that were so clearly about to fall.

"Shh.. I'm sorry Winne, I am, it won't happen again. You have my word." He reasurred her, gently patting her back as he returned her hug.

"You promise?"

"Pinky promise." He agreed.

"I'm making you eat 5 raw mint leaves as punishment.

Wriothesley froze in fear.