chapter twenty six

vanessa

Despite how the meeting ended, I'm happy to know we have more information on Lucía. Information she doesn't want getting out. But the moment we enter the property grounds, Gabriel persistently insists that I take the rest of the day to sleep off my exhaustion. There are still so many things we have to do and prepare for what's to come and rather than allowing me to help, Gabriel is doing everything to make sure I don't.

There are still Mateo and Sam that need to be interrogated and dealt with, and we still have no idea how Olsen ties in with her plans. I've never felt so many steps behind an enemy before. It makes me want to scream.

Gabriel has refused for me to leave the bed despite my countless attempts. I feel much better especially after the talk we had in the car, but he's under the impression because I had a small freak-out that I'm incapable of continuing for the day. While his intentions are sweet, they're beginning to anger me.

Operation Hummingbird was something I heard of when I was younger and eavesdropped on the guards. Unfortunately, I never lasted long in the shadows until I was caught, and they never spoke about it without using code. But I know the mission was larger than the organization they lived with—it was bigger than them, my mother, and myself.

Whatever it is, it's catastrophic.

I still haven't looked at the black file Antonio gave me. I've tried, but Gabriel keeps saying I'll have a chance when I'm not so exhausted.

He's seems more tired than I am with how much he's been putting me back in our room.

I poke my head into the hall, careful to pull back into the room when I hear any sound that may be another person. Gabriel has made it nearly impossible to get to the office and look at the file, demanding any guard who sees me to escort me back into the room. That was when I stayed in my room. It's one thing to get brought back in by my husband or right and left-hand men, but I'll be damned if I make a guard look like a fool for putting him on their ass for attempting to force me anywhere.

I had one panic attack and everyone is acting like I went into cardiac arrest.

I poke my head out again and wait...and wait some more. It's pretty late, the sun has long since set, so I'm not expecting anyone to be watching my door; Gabriel will be back at any moment to do the rest of the puppy-guarding over me.

When I hear nothing, I make my escape, slipping into the hall to glue myself to the nearest wall.

He has always gone to exaggerated measures. Now I have no choice but to sneak out of my own room, in my own house.

I creep toward the staircase. Each footstep is so light it doesn't make a sound. I'm so close to freedom. Just one more step

"You should be in bed."

Son of a bitch.

"Dammit," I whisper under my breath.

Ever so slowly, I spin on my heel to face him.

Gabriel's arms are crossed over his chest, his muscles flexing at the slightest tightening of his fingers around his biceps. No shirt is covering his torso, leaving every square inch of ink and scar to be left on display for me.