Track 7

Under the guise of darkness, they sprinted down the hill toward the compound; they knew they wouldn't be seen or heard as the soldiers focused on the incoming herd.

The leader quickly beckoned over one of his men, instructing him to shoot a grappling hook over the wall. Prior, he had told two others to get in the vehicles and park them near the exit for a quick escape.

When on the other side of the wall, they did a slow and methodical clearing of each building.

The leader kicked open one of the doors, aiming his gun at the soldier inside the breakroom. The guy couldn't have been any older than twenty-five; his scared eyes showed through his grey balaclava.

Behind the leader, several mercenaries entered the room, each pointing their guns at the soldier.

He spoke calmly, "Where is the prisoner you're holding?"

"Uh," the soldier mumbled, "Which one?"

"The girl. The kid."

"She's being held in the tall building. The one near the middle of this place," he gulped.

"Okay, I thought so," he studied the guy, looking at his waist, seeing a ring of keys and cards attached to his belt. "You have the key to get in?"

"I-uh," the soldier looked around frantically. On the table in front of him was a walkie-talkie with a large emergency button.

"Don't do it," one of the mercenaries said from behind the leader.

"Yeah," he swallowed, "I do."

The leader motioned for someone to grab the walkie-talkie while he went to restrain the soldier.

Minutes later, the group crept down the dark metal stairway. The alarm had been turned off, but the spinning red light above them persisted.

"Which card is it?" the leader asked.

"The white one with the red streak across it."

He ripped it from his keychain, holding it up to the sensor. A light ding went off, and the light above the door changed to green, as it slid open.

Hearing the several sets of heavy footsteps enter the room, the girl quickly scooted to the corner of the cell.

"Who's there?" her voice was shaky.

"You," the leader pointed to one of his mercenaries, "Use the cutters."

"Alright," he took a metal canister from his back, attaching a nozzle to the top, twisting the nozzle until a loud whoosh came from it. He brought a lighter to the tip, and a blue flame blasted from the nozzle.

The flame cut through the thick plexiglass like a knife moving through sand.

Melody screamed at the sound, holding her pillow close to her chest.

The leader looked up, a surprised shock on his face, seeing a gold glow from the corner of the cell.

"What the..." His mouth hung agape, "What is that?"

A gold light shimmered around Melody as her wide eyes stared blankly ahead, tears streaming down her face.

Outside, the beast perked up, sensing something it hadn't felt before; whatever it was, it came from inside the compound.

The sand exploded outwards from its feet as it launched itself toward the compound. Bullets and shells whizzed past its head and fruitlessly slammed into its body as it climbed the front gates.