Stay Away

Arya:

I was trying to answer and Ishaan moved closer to me. I turned the other side but Ishaan pulled me closer to him and hugged me from the behind. He is not hurting me or doing anything to me but I felt most uncomfortable.

Ishaan's touch, though gentle and well-intentioned, triggered a storm of memories. The past, that's wild and painful, like a relentless shadow, clung to my skin. Varun's hands, cruel and invasive, had left scars that time couldn't erase. The weight of those memories pressed down on my chest, making each breath a struggle.

Tears blurred my vision as I pushed Ishaan away. His concern turned to shock, and I wondered if he could see the ghosts that haunted me-the ones that whispered of betrayal and pain. But how could I explain? How could I convey the raw ache that still lingered, even when the physical wounds had healed?

Ishaan's eyes searched mine, and I saw confusion there. Perhaps he thought I was rejecting him, pushing away the comfort he offered. But it wasn't about him; it was about me. About the girl who had once trusted and been betrayed. About the scars that ran deeper than skin. Maybe I could never heal and accept anyone else in my life.

"Are you okay?" Ishaan's voice was soft, hesitant. He didn't understand, couldn't fathom the depths of my torment. How could he? I was a mosaic of broken pieces, held together by fragile threads.

"I am not okay. I am not okay when you touch me. I am not okay when you come close to me. I am not okay even with your fragrance. We married only for Eira. So please stay away from me. I am not your wife and can never be your wife. But I will follow the rules and regulations of this family as a daughter in law because marrying me shouldn't degrade your reputation," I said, almost shouting at Ishaan.

I am sure until now no one would have talked to him in this voice or tone. Few respects him and others fear for him. Whatever may be the cause, everyone talks so less before him. Today I crossed that line, triggering his ego. Ishaan glanced at me without saying anything. Is he furious at me? Or hurt by me? His face is showing no expressions.

"That's cool. I will never come close to you ever. I don't know that my proximity is causing all the trouble for you. I thought as we are married, we can try to give it a chance gradually but now it's clear to me that there's no possibility.

"I didn't......" I said, as I realized what I did. Did I really mean those words about Ishaan which I said just a few minutes before or is it about Varun and words I couldn't say when Varun is with me.

"It's ok, Arya. I don't mind. Let's talk about your job. What's the difference between self respect and ego in your perception?"

"I don't know exactly and I may be wrong too.

Self-respect, in my view, involves recognizing my own value while also acknowledging that everyone else has their unique worth. It means maintaining my dignity while respecting the opinions and perspectives of others. However, ego can hinder this balance by making us believe we're always right and others are wrong. And also thinking that we are completely independent while others are dependent on us. This kind of imbalanced perception where "I" becomes the best and assumes "no one" can be the best is Ego.

For me, self-respect also means utilizing my talents and not letting them go to waste. I aim for financial independence to some extent, but I understand that complete independence is a myth. After all, in any relationship, we eventually rely on each other. I don't mind seeking your help or depending on you when needed.

While I'm open to learning from my mistakes, I won't tolerate being shouted at unjustly. Accepting fault when I'm wrong is reasonable, but forcing me to do so when I'm not at fault is unacceptable. And I say this is my self respect," I said and Ishaan looked at me silently as if he's still trying to comprehend the depth of the words spoken by me, remembering him his past deed.

"I don't want to stop you from working but I can't accept you working outside because you know about me and my works. Whatever relationship we have, to the world, we are a couple. So anyone may try to harm you to trap me. So work for my ad agency. I will pay you the same salary as per the market price. When you work in my company, security will be there and no one can come inside my world and harm you," Ishaan said.

"I agree," I said.

"Tomorrow come with me to the office and I will give you the appointment order. And don't go anywhere without informing me. You are not just Arya now but Mrs Arya Ishaan. I married you to keep you and Eira safe and if anyone of you fall in danger because of me, I will feel that as my incapability to save my family," Ishaan said and I nodded. Why can't this man talk this softly all the time? He triggered my anger by shouting at me on the call because of that, I went to take up that job without considering his words. If he says this way, why would I do anything against him?

"Arya, can I ask you a personal question?" Ishaan said.

"Yes."

"Did your ex husband forced you anytime?" Ishaan said, lighting a cigarette while examining my face through his dark eyes.

"Tell me," Ishaan said again bringing me out of my thoughts related to my past.

"Ok, I got my answer by looking at your eyes. Tears are so precious. Don't shed them often. I don't mean crying is a weakness but I just mean don't empower every person or situation to make you shed those precious pearls. Value yourself and your emotions. Then unnecessary people will lose their value automatically."

I nodded.

"And Arya, don't you have anyone? I mean maternal family. I know that you came to UK after marrying that guy. Do you have a family in India?"

Ishaan's question remembered me something but I am not in a position to tell him the truth. So I chose to hide the truth. In that moment, I don't know what that lie costs me later.

"I am an orphan," I said.

"That's ok. You are an orphan as you have no one and I am an orphan with a family. That's the only difference," He chuckled at his own misery.

"Why don't you like your family?" I said.

"We are not that close yet to share everything. So let's stop our conversation here."

My phone rang and seeing the number I got tense to attend the call before Ishaan. I went out and attended the call and came back.

"Who's that on the call? Why are you in tense seeing the number and went out of the room to talk?" Ishaan said.

"It's my friend from India," I said, wiping off the sweat over my forehead.

"Are you hiding something from me, Arya?"

"No. Nothing."

"Hope so. If I find you hiding anything from me, then you will just see a normal Ishaan whom everyone saw until now. And you already know I am being different to you and Eira," Ishaan said and I nodded. What if he comes to know the truth? Will he understands me or hates me forever?

Hi friends, how is the episode? What is her secret? How is the book so far?